The Rumpus is an online literary magazine founded by Stephen Elliott, and launched on January 20, 2009. The site features interviews, book reviews, essays, comics, and critiques of creative culture as well as original fiction and poetry. The site runs two subscription-based book clubs and two subscription-based letters programs, Letters in the Mail and Letters for Kids.
Type of site
|Editor||Marisa Siegel, Ian MacAllen, Julie Greicius, Lisa Mecham|
The Rumpus has fostered writers, artists, and editors like Roxane Gay who served as Essays Editor and who credits the site for developing her audience, Isaac Fitzgerald who served as Managing Editor before moving to BuzzFeed to help create BuzzFeed Books, Rick Moody, Wendy MacNaughton, Paul Madonna, Peter Orner, Yumi Sakugawa, Steve Almond, and Cheryl Strayed, who began her "Dear Sugar" advice column on the site.
In July 2016, the site launched the Rumpus Lo-Fi Film Festival in Los Angeles as response to the high cost of other festivals.
In January 2017, The Rumpus was purchased by Marisa Siegel, previously the site's Managing Editor. Siegel is the current Editor-in-Chief and owner of The Rumpus. Lyz Lenz previously served as Managing Editor before stepping down from the role in fall 2018 and joining The Rumpus Advisory Board.
- Stanley, Caroline (2009-01-21). "The Rumpus: A New Literary Mag That Plays by the Internet's Rules".
- "The Rumpus | Poets and Writers". Pw.org. Retrieved 2017-01-18.
- "New Book Club Gets a Jump on Critics | Poets and Writers". Pw.org. Retrieved 2017-01-18.
- Williams, John. "Notable Authors Give Snail Mail a Boost". The New York Times. Retrieved 2017-01-19.
- "Explore new books with your children with a little help from letters for kids". Thesimplemoms.com. Retrieved 2017-01-19.
- "Roxane Gay, bad feminist and proud of it". Mother Jones. Retrieved 2017-01-18.
- "Reviewers & Critics: Isaac Fitzgerald of BuzzFeed Books | Poets and Writers". Pw.org. Retrieved 2017-01-18.
- "10 of the Best 'Dear Sugar' Advice Columns by Wild Author Cheryl Strayed". Vulture. 2014-12-23. Retrieved 2017-01-18.
- "Dear Sugar". Therumpus.net.
- Lauren, Amanda (2016-07-28). "Stephen Elliott Decided Film Fests are Bullshit — So He Created His Own". LA Weekly. Retrieved 2017-01-18.
- "The Rumpus: Now a Matriarchy". Brevity. 2017-01-25. Retrieved 2017-01-25.
- Hollman, Laurie; Infant-Parent, Ph D.; Author, Child Psychoanalyst; Behavior', 'Unlocking Parental Intelligence: Finding Meaning in Your Child's (2016-03-24). "How to Be a Human Being While Also Being a Mom and Managing Editor of The Rumpus". HuffPost. Retrieved 2017-01-19.
- "Interview: Marisa Siegel and Lyz Lenz of The Rumpus - Curiosity Quills Press". Curiosity Quills Press. 2017-02-06. Retrieved 2017-02-10.
- "It's Not Goodbye - The Rumpus.net". therumpus.net. Retrieved 2018-12-22.