The Rockdale Citizen
The Rockdale Citizen is a newspaper serving the community of Conyers, Georgia and Rockdale County, Georgia, USA. The Citizen publishes five days a week, Tuesday through Friday and Sunday, serves as the legal organ for Rockdale County, and is available online. It is a member of the Georgia Press Association.
|Owner(s)||Southern Community Newspapers Inc.|
|Founded||July 30, 1953|
|Headquarters||969 South Main Street|
Conyers, Georgia 30012
|Website||The Rockdale Citizen|
The Rockdale Citizen was founded by W. Thomas Hay as a weekly newspaper, and was first published on July 30, 1953.
The Citizen became a semi-weekly newspaper (Tuesday and Thursday) in 1972 and began publishing as a daily evening newspaper (Monday through Friday) in 1977. In 1994, it was acquired by Gray Communications.
In July 1996 a deal was made with the Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games for the Citizen to be distributed on the shuttles to and from the equestrian events at the Georgia International Horse Park. In order to handle this, the Citizen had to switch to morning delivery and add a Saturday edition to provide results for Friday events and schedules for Saturday's events.
The Citizen launched a sister newspaper, The Newton Citizen, located in Covington, GA, in February 2000, and added a Sunday edition.
In 2005, Gray spun off its newspapers as Triple Crown Media. The company was renamed Southern Community Newspapers in 2010.
- Millard B. Grimes, The Last Linotype : The Story of Georgia and its Newspapers Since World War II, (Macon, Georgia: Mercer University Press, 1985), 337-348
- "About Us", The Rockdale Citizen website
- Legal Organ Information - Rockdale County Government website
- "Active Members", Georgia Press Association website
- GRAY COMMUNICATIONS CLOSE ON PURCHASE OF ROCKDALE CITIZEN
- Newspapers' parent company has new name
- The Rockdale Citizen website
|This article about a newspaper of the U.S. state of Georgia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|