The Raw Story
The Raw Story (also stylized as RawStory) is an American online news organization founded in 2004 by John K. Byrne. It covers current national and international political and economic news and publishes its own editorials and investigative pieces. The Raw Story is a progressive news site, bringing attention to stories that it sees as downplayed or ignored by other media outlets. It is owned by Washington, D.C.-based Raw Story Media, Inc.
The Raw Story homepage, 2014
Type of site
|Owner||Raw Story Media, Inc., John K. Byrne, Michael Rogers|
|Created by||John K. Byrne|
|Alexa rank||3,348 (July 2017[update])|
Citation in other mediaEdit
The Raw Story has been reported on and featured in The New York Times, The Guardian, LA Weekly, the New York Post, the Toronto Star, The Hill, Rolling Stone, The Advocate, Roll Call, and Mother Jones. With an average 10.7 million readers per month (2015), the site is described by Newsweek as, "Muck, raked: If you're looking for alleged GOP malfeasance, the folks at rawstory.com are frequently scooping the mainstream media."
On August 4, 2008 the Online News Association announced that RawStory.com was a finalist in the 2008 Online Journalism awards in the "Investigative, Small Site" category for the story "The permanent Republican majority", about improper partisan influence in the prosecution of former Governor Don Siegelman of Alabama.
The website's original reporting has also been referenced by MSNBC's Ed Schultz and Lawrence O'Donnell, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Real Time with Bill Maher and Countdown with Keith Olbermann. It was also referenced in 2011 by The Telegraph newspaper, as being the news website that first revealed a contract had been awarded to Ntrepid by United States Central Command as part of Operation Earnest Voice, intended to deploy operatives to create fake online personas abroad.
According to the site's masthead, as of July 2018, the Editor and Publisher is Roxanne Cooper. Other editors include Eric W. Dolan, Managing Editor, and Senior Editors David Edwards, Travis Gettys, Martin Cizmar, Tana Ganeva and Sarah Burris.
Raw Story Media, Inc.Edit
Raw Story is wholly owned by Raw Story Media, Inc.
- John K. Byrne – Founder, Chairman and CEO, partner
- Michael Rogers – Vice Chairman and Managing Director, partner
Raw Story partners John K. Byrne and Michael Rogers announced on April 2, 2018, that they had acquired AlterNet via a newly created company "AlterNet Media." Byrne stated, "AlterNet will continue to carry content from the Independent Media Institute, its prior owner, and former AlterNet writers may appear with Independent Media Institute bylines.
- "raw story.com Site Overview". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 12 December 2016.
- HTML <title> tag on homepage as at 10 December 2016: http://rawstory.com
- O'Reilly, Lara (10 April 2018). "CMO Today: Zuckerberg's Congress Hearing; P&G to Build Cross-Holding Company Creative Agency; Movie Theaters Go Upmarket". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- "About Us & Masthead". The Raw Story. Retrieved 2008-12-31.
- "Interview with John Byrne: Editor and founder of Rawstory.com". Mother Jones. 2007-06-29. Retrieved 2011-04-15.
- Quantcast. "Quantcast: RawStory.com". Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- "BlogWatch". Newsweek (subscription/registration needed). 2005-03-21.
- Online News Association (August 4, 2008). "2008 Online Journalism Awards – Finalists". Archived from the original on August 8, 2008. Retrieved 2007-08-06.
- "The permanent Republican majority". Rawstory.com. 2002-11-18. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "Raw Story: Lawrence O'Donnell: Liberals outraged over Libya action". Raw Story. 2011-03-21. Retrieved 2011-03-21.
- Nick Fielding and Ian Cobain (17 March 2011). "US military creates fake online personas". The Telegraph. Retrieved December 24, 2011.
- "Masthead". RawStory.com. The Raw Story. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- Byrne, John (April 9, 2018). "It's a new day for AlterNet". AlterNet. Retrieved April 10, 2018.