The Rainbow Jacket
The Rainbow Jacket is a 1954 British Ealing Studios drama film, produced by Michael Relph, directed by Basil Dearden, and featuring Robert Morley, Kay Walsh, Bill Owen, Honor Blackman and Sid James.
|The Rainbow Jacket|
Original UK quad format poster
|Directed by||Basil Dearden|
|Produced by||Michael Relph|
|Written by||T.E.B. Clarke|
|Music by||William Alwyn|
|Edited by||Jack Harris|
|Distributed by||GFD (UK)|
A champion jockey, having forfeited his own career by taking a bribe, takes a young rider under his wing.
- Fella Edmonds as Georgie Crain
- Robert Morley as Lord Logan
- Kay Walsh as Barbara Crain
- Edward Underdown as Geoffrey Tyler
- Bill Owen as Sam
- Charles Victor as Mr Voss
- Honor Blackman as Mrs Tyler
- Wilfrid Hyde-White as Lord Stoneleigh
- Ronald Ward as Bernie Rudd
- Howard Marion-Crawford as Travers
- Sid James as Harry
- Michael Trubshawe as Gresham
- Sam Kydd as Bruce
- Michael Ripper as Benny Loder
- Frederick Piper as Lukey
- Eliot Makeham as Valet
- Brian Roper as Ron Saunders
- Gordon Richards as Jockey
The film premiered at the Odeon Leicester Square in London on 27 May 1954, and the reviewer for The Times wrote that, "It is, then, an entertaining film, a film in love with racing and yet not quite so devotedly so as to refrain from suggesting that in the running of the St. Leger there can be some very queer goings-on indeed."
Sixty years after the premiere, TV Guide felt that "a trite outcome mars this fairly entertaining film, which features real-life British racing figures Raymond Glendenning and Gordon Richards," while Time Out noted that the film was "the first collaboration between Dearden and TEB Clarke after The Blue Lamp...Despite its intriguing subject, the film offers little but the cosy, sentimental view of life that is typical of late Ealing films."
- The Times, 27 May 1954, page 2: Classified - Picture Theatres - Odeon Leic. Sq. - The Rainbow Jacket Linked 2015-07-06
- Barr, Charles (1998). Ealing Studios. University of California Press. p. 157. ISBN 978-0-520-21554-2.
- "The Rainbow Jacket". British Film Institute. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- "The Rainbow Jacket | review, synopsis, book tickets, showtimes, movie release date | Time Out London". Timeout.com. 2007-09-18. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
- The Times, 27 May 1954, page 4: Odeon Ceinama - "The Rainbow Jacket" Linked 2015-07-06
- "The Rainbow Jacket Review". Movies.tvguide.com. Retrieved 2014-04-03.