The Quiet Gun
The Quiet Gun is a 1957 American Western film directed by William F. Claxton and written by Eric Norden and Earle Lyon. The film stars Forrest Tucker, Mara Corday, Jim Davis, Kathleen Crowley, Lee Van Cleef and Hank Worden. It is based on the 1955 novel Lawman by Lauran Paine. The film was released in January 1957, by 20th Century Fox.
|The Quiet Gun|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||William F. Claxton|
|Produced by||Earle Lyon|
|Screenplay by||Eric Norden|
|Based on||Lawman by Lauran Paine|
Lee Van Cleef
|Music by||Paul Dunlap|
|Cinematography||John J. Mescall|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
It was known as Fury at Rock River.
Doug Sadler (Lee Van Cleef), a cattle rustler comes to town. He’s in a secret partnership with saloon owner John Reilly (Tom Brown). They plan to run the stolen cattle into Hell’s Canyon, located on land belonging to Ralph Carpenter (Jim Davis). Carpenter and his wife Teresa (Kathleen Crowley) are separated, so Reilly has sent Native American beauty Irene (Mara Corday) to seduce Carpenter. Then Reilly put a flea in the ear of Steven Hardy (Lewis Martin), the town’s Eastern born city attorney about “immorality”. When Hardy tries to serve a warrant for his arrest, in the resulting confrontation Hardy is killed. Sheriff Brandon (Forrest Tucker), who was in love with. Teresa before her marriage and was friends with Ralph Carpenter, sets out to arrest Carpenter. However, a lynch mob knocks out the sheriff and hangs Carpenter. Brandon arrests the mob and tricks the city council into stopping another mob that demands the release of the arrested men. Meanwhile, Irene returns to the Carpenter house where she is discovered by Reilly and Sadler, who assault her. At the trial the members of the lynch mob are sentenced to three years in jail. Then Mrs. Carpenter arrives with the news that Reilly and Sadler have killed Irene. In a gunfight Sadler and Reilly are killed. Sheriff Brandon is only wounded and reunited with Teresa.
- Vince Barnett as Undertaker
- Tom Brown as John Reilly
- Lee Van Cleef as Doug Sadler
- Mara Corday as Irene
- Kathleen Crowley as Teresa Carpenter
- Jim Davis as Ralph Carpenter
- Edith Evanson as Mrs. Merrick
- Lewis Martin as Steven Hardy
- Gerald Milton as Lesser
- Forrest Tucker as Sheriff Carl Brandon
- Hank Worden as Sampson
During a screening of the film in Los Angeles, an armed robbers burgled the cinema and was shot by police trying to flee.
- "The Quiet Gun (1957) - Overview". TCM.com. Retrieved 2015-09-17.
- "The-Quiet-Gun - Trailer - Cast - Showtimes". NYTimes.com. Retrieved 2015-09-17.
- "The Quiet Gun". Afi.com. Retrieved 2015-09-17.
- 'Quiet gun' plays; shots fell robber. (1957, May 06). Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) Retrieved from https://search.proquest.com/docview/167156284