The Quantum Vacuum: An Introduction to Quantum Electrodynamics
The Quantum Vacuum: An Introduction to Quantum Electrodynamics is a physics textbook authored by Peter W. Milonni in 1993. The book provides a careful and thorough treatment of zero-point energy, spontaneous emission, the Casimir, van der Waals forces, Lamb shift and anomalous magnetic moment of the electron at a level of detail not found in other introductory texts to quantum electrodynamics.
|Author||Peter W. Milonni|
|Media type||Print, e-book|
|Followed by||Fast Light, Slow Light, and Left-Handed Light|
The first chapter, Zero‐Point Energy in Early Quantum Theory, was originally published in 1991 in the American Journal of Physics.
In 2008 Milonni received the Max Born Award "For exceptional contributions to the fields of theoretical optics, laser physics and quantum mechanics, and for dissemination of scientific knowledge through authorship of a series of outstanding books".
- Zero-Point Energy in Early Quantum Theory
- The Electromagnetic Vacuum
- Some QED Vacuum Effects
- Nonrelativistic Theory of Atoms in a Vacuum
- Interlude: Radiation Reaction
- The Vacuum in Quantum Optics
- Casimir and van der Waals Forces: Prelude
- Casimir and van der Waals Forces: Elaborations
- The Dirac Equation
- Introduction to Quantum Field Theory
- Self-Energies and Renormalization
- Feynman Diagrams
- App. A. Oscillator Equation and Absorption Rate
- App. B. Force on an Atom in a Thermal Field
- App. C. Derivation of Equation (2.28)
- App. D. Electric Field of Radiation Reaction
- App. E. Photodetection and Normal Ordering
- App. F. Transverse and Longitudinal Delta Functions
- App. G. Lorentz-Invariant Measure
- Milonni, P. W.; Shih, M.‐L. (1991). "Zero‐point energy in early quantum theory". American Journal of Physics. 59 (8): 684–698. Bibcode:1991AmJPh..59..684M. doi:10.1119/1.16772. ISSN 0002-9505.
- Milonni, Peter W.; Eberlein, Claudia (1994). "The Quantum Vacuum: An Introduction to Quantum Electrodynamics". American Journal of Physics. 62 (12): 1154–1154. Bibcode:1994AmJPh..62.1154M. doi:10.1119/1.17618. ISSN 0002-9505.
- Milonni, Peter W. (1994). The Quantum Vacuum: An Introduction to Quantum Electrodynamics. Boston: Academic Press. ISBN 0-12-498080-5. LCCN 93029780. OCLC 422797902.
|This article about a physics-related book is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|