The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators is the debut studio album by the 13th Floor Elevators. The album's sound, featuring elements of psychedelia, garage rock, folk, and blues, is notable for its use of the electric jug, as featured on the band's only hit, "You're Gonna Miss Me", which reached number 55 on the Billboard Charts with "Tried to Hide" as a B-side. Another single from the album, "Reverberation (Doubt)", reached number 129 on the Billboard's Bubbling Under Chart.
|The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators|
|Studio album by The 13th Floor Elevators|
|Released||October 17, 1966|
|Recorded||January 3 – October 11, 1966|
|The 13th Floor Elevators chronology|
The August 1966 album back cover credits the words "the psychedelic sounds of: The 13th Floor Elevators", which is purported to be the first use of the word "psychedelic" in reference to the music within. Two other bands also used the word in titles of LPs released in November 1966: The Blues Magoos' Psychedelic Lollipop, and The Deep's Psychedelic Moods.
In 2005, The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators was remastered and reissued in compact disc format by Charly Records, a British record label specializing in reissued material. It included bonus tracks of the band's 1966 performance at the Avalon Ballroom, a music venue in the Polk Gulch neighborhood of San Francisco, and both sides of a single, "We Sell Soul" and "You're Gonna Miss Me", from Roky Erickson's pre-13th Floor Elevators band, The Spades.
In 2009, the original mono version was released as part of the "Sign of the 3-Eyed Men" box set. The set also featured a new, alternate stereo version which retained the band's original intended track listing, as well as false starts on some of the tracks (the International Artists label had altered the track listing without the band's consent when the album was first released). Both versions on the box set featured different bonus tracks, some that were previously unreleased.
|1.||"You're Gonna Miss Me"||Roky Erickson||2:24|
|2.||"Roller Coaster"||Erickson, Tommy Hall||5:00|
|3.||"Splash 1 (Now I'm Home)"||Erickson, Clementine Hall||3:50|
|4.||"Reverberation"||Erickson, T. Hall, Stacy Sutherland||2:46|
|5.||"Don't Fall Down"||T. Hall, Erickson||3:00|
|6.||"Fire Engine"||T. Hall, Sutherland, Erickson||3:22|
|7.||"Thru the Rhythm"||T. Hall, Sutherland||3:05|
|8.||"You Don't Know"||Powell St. John||2:38|
|9.||"Kingdom of Heaven"||St. John||3:05|
|10.||"Monkey Island"||St. John||2:38|
|11.||"Tried to Hide"||T. Hall, Sutherland|
|2005 Charly Records bonus tracks|
|12.||"Everybody Needs Somebody to Love"||Bert Russell, Jerry Wexler, Solomon Burke||5:15|
|13.||"Before You Accuse Me"||Ellas McDaniel||2:33|
|14.||"I'm Gonna Love You Too"||Joe B. Mauldin, Niki Sullivan, Norman Petty||1:53|
|15.||"You Really Got Me"||Ray Davies||6:17|
|16.||"Roll Over Beethoven"||Chuck Berry||2:46|
|17.||"The Word"||John Lennon, Paul McCartney||2:49|
|19.||"She Lives (In a Time of Her Own)"||Erickson, T. Hall||3:03|
|20.||"We Sell Soul"||Erickson||3:21|
|21.||"You're Gonna Miss Me"||Erickson||3:25|
- Tracks 12-17 were recorded live at the Avalon in San Francisco, September 1966
- Tracks 18-19 were recorded live in Texas
- Tracks 20-21 were The Spades singles released in 1965
|Original band track listing|
|1.||"You Don't Know (How Young You Are)"||St. John||2:38|
|2.||"Through the Rhythm"||T. Hall, Sutherland||3:05|
|3.||"Monkey Island"||St. John||2:38|
|4.||"Roller Coaster"||T. Hall, Erickson||5:00|
|5.||"Fire Engine"||T. Hall, Sutherland, Erickson||3:22|
|6.||"Reverberation"||T. Hall, Sutherland, Erickson||2:46|
|7.||"Tried to Hide" (false start)||T. Hall, Sutherland|
|8.||"Tried to Hide"||T. Hall, Sutherland||2:43|
|9.||"You're Gonna Miss Me"||Erickson||2:24|
|10.||"I've Seen Your Face Before (Splash 1)"||C. Hall, Erickson||3:50|
|11.||"Don't Fall Down"||T. Hall, Erickson||3:00|
|12.||"The Kingdom of Heaven (Is Within You)"||St. John||3:05|
This version was included in the "Sign of the 3-Eyed Men" box set on CD 4 with the following bonus tracks.
|13.||"You Don't Know (How Young You Are)" (alternate backing track)|
|14.||"Roller Coaster" (alternate backing track)|
|15.||"Don't Fall Down" (alternate backing track)|
|16.||"Don't Fall Down / band introduction" (Larry Kane show)|
- Produced by Lelan Rogers, except track 1 produced by Gordon Bynum
- Recorded, engineered & mixed by Bob Sullivan
- John Cleveland - cover design
- "The 13th Floor Elevators – The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators (International Artists, 1966)". Spin. March 28, 2013. Retrieved July 24, 2016.
- Masley, Ed (September 19, 2008). "10 essential garage-rock albums". AZCentral. The Arizona Republic. Retrieved November 8, 2016.
- Deming, Mark. "The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators - The 13th Floor Elevators : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards : AllMusic". Retrieved June 11, 2012.
- Deusner, Stephen M. "13th Floor Elevators / Roky Erickson: The Psychedelic Sounds of... / I Have Always Been Here Before | Album Reviews | Pitchfork". Retrieved June 11, 2012.
- ^ Robert Dimery; Michael Lydon (23 March 2010). 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die: Revised and Updated Edition. Universe. ISBN 978-0-7893-2074-2.
- The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators (Adobe Flash) at Radio3Net (streamed copy where licensed)
- The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators at Discogs