The Peterville Diamond is a 1942 British comedy film directed by Walter Forde and starring Anne Crawford, Donald Stewart and Renee Houston. It is also known by the alternative title Jewel Robbery. - from the 1931 play of the same title; previously filmed in Hollywood in 1932.
|The Peterville Diamond|
|Directed by||Walter Forde|
|Based on||play Jewel Robbery by Ladislas Fodor|
|Produced by||Max Milner|
|Edited by||Terence Fisher|
|Music by||Jack Beaver|
|Distributed by||Warner Brothers|
In an effort to get her husband to listen to her, a wife pretends interest in the famed Peterville Diamond. After a charming thief steals it from her, shenanigans, double-dealing and finally a chase, ensue.
- Anne Crawford as Teri Mortimer
- Donald Stewart as Charles Mortimer
- Renee Houston as Lady Margaret
- Oliver Wakefield as Baron Redburn
- Charles Heslop as Dilfallow
- William Hartnell as Joseph
- Felix Aylmer as President
- Charles Victor as Dan
- Joss Ambler as Police Chief
- Paul Sheridan as Luis
- Jeremy Hawk as Pierre
- Julian Somers as Andre
- Rosamund Greenwood as Miss Geach
- Billy Holland as First Detective Inspector
- Noel Dainton as Second Detective Inspector
- Leo de Pokorny as Receptionist
Ladislas Fodor's play was adapted for the screen by Gordon Wellesley and Brock Williams. It was made at Teddington Studios by the British subsidiary of Warner Brothers. The film's sets were by the resident art director Norman Arnold.
TV Guide gave the film two out of four stars, calling it "An enjoyable light comedy with some witty repartee." while Allmovie thought it "Not a great film," however "still a much, much better film than one would expect from something which was filmed merely as a 'quota quickie.'"
- Jewel Robbery (1932)
- Goble, Alan (8 September 2011). The Complete Index to Literary Sources in Film. Walter de Gruyter. ISBN 9783110951943 – via Google Books.
- "The Peterville Diamond (1942) - Walter Forde - Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- "The Peterville Diamond (1942)". Archived from the original on 13 January 2009.
- Conley, Timothy K. (4 January 2016). Screening Vienna: The City of Dreams in English-Language Cinema and Television. Cambria Press. ISBN 9781621967163 – via Google Books.
- "The Peterville Diamond - TV Guide". TVGuide.com.
- "The Peterville Diamond (1942) - Walter Forde - Review - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- Hutchings, Peter. Terence Fisher. Manchester University Press, 2001.