The Overnighters is a 2014 American documentary film written, directed and produced by Jesse Moss. The film premiered in competition category of U.S. Documentary Competition program at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival on January 18, 2014. It won the Special Jury Award at the festival.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Jesse Moss|
|Written by||Jesse Moss|
|Music by||T. Griffin|
|Edited by||Jeff Seymann Gilbert|
Mlle End Films
Al Di La Films
|Distributed by||Drafthouse Films|
After its premiere at the Sundance Film Festival, Drafthouse Films acquired distribution rights of the film. The film was released on October 24, 2014 in United States, with a portion of all box office receipts being donated to North Dakota's local affordable housing charities.
The film depicts the lives of people chasing the dream of high salaries in the North Dakota oil boom, only to discover that affordable housing is almost impossible to find. Much of the focus is on the efforts of local pastor Jay Reinke, who allowed over 1,000 different people to stay at his Williston, North Dakota church over a period of about two years.
The film received positive response from critics. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a 98% rating based on reviews from 64 critics, with an average score of 8.6/10. Metacritic gives the film a score of 89 based on reviews from 20 critics, indicating "Universal Acclaim".
Justin Chang in his review for Variety said that it is "[A] tough-minded, admirably unresolved film." David Rooney of The Hollywood Reporter gave the film positive review and said that, "A scenario with present-day echoes of The Grapes of Wrath yields perceptive insights into the way we view outsiders." Katie Walsh from Indiewire in her review said that, "The Overnighters is starkly bleak and devastatingly humane, and an indelible American documentary." Colin Covert in his review for the Minneapolis Star Tribune gave the film three and half star out of four and said that, "The film features stunning third-act revelations that compel viewers to rethink its characters' actions and motivations."
|2014||Sundance Film Festival||U.S. Grand Jury Prize: Documentary||Jesse Moss||Nominated|
|U.S. Documentary Special Jury Award for Achievement for Intuitive Filmmaking||Jesse Moss||Won|
|Miami International Film Festival||Miami’s Knight Documentary Award||Jesse Moss (Tied with Finding Vivian Maier)||Won|
|Full Frame Documentary Film Festival||Full Frame Inspiration Award||Jesse Moss||Won|
|Crested Butte Film Festival||Best Documentary Feature||Jesse Moss||Won|
- "The Overnighters (2014)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved January 15, 2014.
- "Meet the Sundance Filmmakers: Jesse Moss, Director/Producer, 'The Overnighters'". Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- "The Overnighters - Director Jesse Moss". Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- "Sundance 2014: U.S. Documentary Competition". Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- "Sundance: 'Whiplash' & 'Rich Hill' Win Grand Jury Awards; Dramatic Directing Goes To Cutter Hodierne For 'Fishing Without Nets'". Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- "'Whiplash' Owns the 2014 Sundance Film Festival Awards Netting Two Top Prizes". Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- "Drafthouse Acquires Sundance Award-Winning Doc 'The Overnighters'". Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- "Drafthouse Nabs Sundance Award Winning Docu 'The Overnighters'". Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- "Miami International Film Festival" (PDF). Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- Chang, Justin (25 January 2014). "Sundance Film Review: 'The Overnighters'". Variety. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- "The Overnighters". Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- "The Overnighters (2014)". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved 2015-03-25.
- "The Overnighters: Reviews (2014)". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- "Sundance Film Review: 'The Overnighters'". Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- "The Overnighters: Sundance Review". Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- "Sundance Review: Devastating Doc 'The Overnighters' A Humane Look At Compassion & The American Dream". Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- "What to see at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Film Festival". Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- "Sundance Winner 'The Overnighters' Gets U.S. Distribution". Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- "'A Wolf at the Door,' 'Aurora' Top Miami Festival". Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- "Full Frame announces 2014 award winners". Retrieved 12 April 2014.