|Owner(s)||Digital First Media|
(21st Century Media)
|Managing editor, design||Rick Kessler|
|Headquarters||One Heritage Drive, Suite 100|
Southgate, MI 48195
The newspaper is published every Wednesday and Sunday.
The News-Herald's history dates back to the 1870s, when the Rev. George W. Owen established the Wyandotte Herald in Wyandotte, MI. After merging with the Wyandotte Daily News, from 1944 it was known as the Wyandotte News-Herald. The Mellus Newspapers started in the 1920s, subsequently flourished for decades under famous publisher/editor William Mellus.
The current News-Herald format was established under the Heritage Newspapers brand in 1986, when the late industrialist Heinz Prechter brought the old News-Herald (based in Wyandotte, MI) and Mellus Newspapers (based in Lincoln Park, MI) from SEM Newspapers Inc. and combined them into a single Downriver publication each Wednesday. In 1988, The News-Herald relocated to their current offices at Interstate 75 and Northline Road in Southgate, MI and launched "Weekender" editions in select communities, which was later incorporated into Heritage Sunday and is now known as the Sunday News-Herald. A Friday edition of The News-Herald delivered exclusively via the United States Postal Service began publishing on March 3, 2006 and was discontinued after the April 20, 2012 edition.
Following the 2013 merger of 21st Century Media and MediaNews Group to form Digital First Media, the current owner, the News-Herald was placed in 2014 into Digital First's newly formed Detroit region, which also includes longtime sister papers The Macomb Daily and The Detroit News. The other 21st Century-owned newspapers in Michigan were placed into Digital First's Michigan region, headquartered in Pontiac.
In 2016 severe cuts to the newsroom left them with one sports reporter who split time also covering sports for a sister newspaper in Dearborn, and three full time reporters to cover the communities Downriver.
- "The News-Herald". 21st Century Newspapers. Retrieved August 18, 2008.
- "Michigan Cluster". Journal Register Company. Archived from the original on November 10, 2007. Retrieved November 13, 2007.
- "Local history". Bacon Memorial District Library. Retrieved May 25, 2017.
- "Allen Park: Newspaper carrier celebrates 25 years on the job". The News-Herald. Retrieved June 1, 2014.
- "Friday News-Herald will debut March 3". The News-Herald. Retrieved June 1, 2014.
- "Friday features, stories will continue in Sunday, Wednesday editions". The News-Herald. Retrieved June 1, 2014.