The New Yorker Radio Hour
The New Yorker Radio Hour is a radio show and podcast produced by The New Yorker and WNYC Studios. It is hosted by David Remnick, who has worked as an editor at The New Yorker since 1998. The first episode of The New Yorker Radio Hour debuted on October 24, 2015.
|Genre||Interview Talk Show|
|Running time||ca. 55 min.|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Home station||WNYC Studios|
|Hosted by||David Remnick|
|Created by||The New Yorker
|Produced by||Ave Carrillo
Jill Du Boff
|Executive producer(s)||David Krasnow|
|Recording studio||New York City|
|Original release||2015 – present|
|Opening theme||Merrill Garbus, composer and performer|
|Website||Show at The New Yorker
Show at WNYC
Listeners can access the program on demand in a variety of ways, including on newyorker.com, wnyc.org, and on the WNYC app, as well as in the iTunes Store and wherever podcasts are available for download. Additionally, The New Yorker Radio Hour is broadcast on over 26 terrestrial radio stations.
The weekly radio show and podcast features interviews with journalists and cartoonists from The New Yorker as well as interviews with artists, writers, comedians, filmmakers and other cultural figures. Former guests include Aziz Ansari, Sarah Koenig, Julián Castro, Larry David, Ta-Nehisi Coates, Gloria Steinem and Amy Schumer.
As defined by host David Remnick, The New Yorker Radio Hour is "an hourlong program that is very much of The New Yorker, infused by its values, hosted by its writers and editors and artists, but also something unique, capacious, freewheeling." However, the podcast does not include New Yorker pieces read out loud and is not a reproduction of the magazine. Furthermore, according the Remnick, the depth of the interviews, variety, and daring of the interviews as well as the humor sets the podcast apart from the magazine.
While the podcast includes stories connected to the news, it is not a news program, but rather a show focused on interviews and personal narratives.
Before creating The New Yorker Radio Hour, the magazine had several podcasts dedicated to a variety of topics including politics, culture, and fiction. The New Yorker Radio Hour is different in that it is distributed to public radio stations around the country and is co-produced with WNYC Studios. On October 24, 2015 the show debuted on 26 stations around the United States.
The New Yorker Radio Hour began as a podcast on October 23, 2015. It was WNYC Studio’s first podcast, which had a broadcast debut by WAMU on Sunday, January 31, 2016. The first episode of the podcast featured a conversation between host David Remnick and author Ta-Nehisi Coates, a personal story from The New Yorker staff writer Jill Lepore, and New Yorker cartoonists discussing the magazine’s cartoon-submissions process.
- ""The New Yorker" Editor David Remnick Has A New Gig: Radio Host". Fast Company. Retrieved 2016-02-09.
- "Using video, The New Yorker abandons its mystique in hopes of attracting a larger audience". Columbia Journalism Review. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- "David Remnick: The New Yorker Radio Hour". ideastream. 2016-01-12. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- Brown, Lydia. "New Year, New Radio Shows on WNPR". wnpr.org. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- Steigrad, Alexandra. "David Remnick Set to Make Debut on 'The New Yorker Radio Hour'". WWD. Retrieved 2016-02-09.
- "POLITICO New York Playbook, presented by PhRMA: STUYVESANT TOWN near sale -- UBER targets upstate -- NEW YORKER’s new radio show -- NYT’s virtual reality project". POLITICO. Retrieved 2016-03-31.
- "Shouts, murmurs, earbuds: How The New Yorker is making the transition to radio". Nieman Lab. Retrieved 2016-04-13.
- "The New Yorker Editor David Remnick Launched a Radio Hour in L.A. - Los Angeles Magazine". Los Angeles Magazine. Retrieved 2016-04-13.
- "David Remnick and Deborah Treisman on fiction in the New Yorker — Bookworm — KCRW". www.kcrw.com. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- Taylor, Eric McQuade and Laura Standley and Devon (2016-01-27). "A Podcast for Every Activity in Your Life". thrillist. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- "David Remnick: "Radio is an obsession of mine"". Current.org. Retrieved 2016-02-09.
- Smilowitz, Elliot (2016-04-22). "Julián Castro pushes back against liberal critics". TheHill. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- "Larry David, what have you done? - The Boston Globe". BostonGlobe.com. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- "Live From The New Yorker". The Austin Chronicle. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- "David Remnick: "Radio is an obsession of mine"". Current. Retrieved 2016-03-31.
- "Shouts, murmurs, earbuds: How The New Yorker is making the transition to radio". Nieman Lab. Retrieved 2016-03-31.
- "The New Yorker Radio Hour, Now on Cleveland Airwaves". Cleveland Scene. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- "The New Yorker Editor David Remnick Launched a Radio Hour in L.A. - Los Angeles Magazine". Los Angeles Magazine. 2016-03-11. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- "‘The New Yorker Radio Hour’ will bring the magazine’s cultural potpourri to airwaves". Poynter. Retrieved 2016-03-31.