The Native (stylized in all caps) is a Nigerian-based music magazine publishing in Lagos. Founded in 2016, The Native focuses primarily on music, style, and art, championing the sounds and culture of tomorrow, today.
|Managing Editor||Tami Makinde|
|Frequency||4 per annum|
|Publisher||The NATIVE Networks|
|First issue||December 2016|
The NATIVE was established in 2016 by Seni Saraki, and Teni (Teezee) Zaccheaus. Since launching, the magazine has featured Nigerian artists including Wizkid, Burna Boy, Naira Marley and fashion designer Mowalola Ogunlesi. Burna Boy was the first artist featured on the magazine in 2017 with the NATIVE's Birth Issue, setting the tone for their future. In 2018, The NATIVE released the second issue of its print magazine. The issue was released at a launch party in London, organised by the magazine and Boilers Room. The event provided a platform for artist to perform such as Lady Donli, Pretty Boy D-O, Wizkid, and Tau Benah, among others. Later that year,The NATIVE collaborated with Nike on limited edition football jersey, Nike by Native.
In 2019, the NATIVE released three covers in its Rebel issue which featured singer and rapper, Cruel Santino, Odunsi The Engine and TENI. Mowalola, Naira Marley and Tems featured on the NATIVE's Time Issue in the summer of 2020. A few months later, in December, the magazine partnered with Wizkid for a limited edition magazine Wizmag that celebrates his album, Made in Lagos.
Nativeland is an annual music concert organised by The NATIVE at Muri Okunola, Victoria Island, Lagos. The first Nativeland concert was held in December 2016, the same day the magazine was launched.
See also edit
- McLaughlin, Aimée (28 May 2021). "The Native on the rise of Nigerian youth culture". Creative Review. Retrieved 29 June 2021.
- Idowu, Tomi (19 January 2017). "The NATIVE Magazine launches its website". The Culture Custodian. Retrieved 29 June 2021.
- "Nigeria's Hottest Magazine Speaks to Fashion's Global Future". Vogue. Retrieved 29 June 2021.
- "Vote for The Native on the #Dazed100". Dazed. 3 June 2021. Retrieved 29 June 2021.
- "Wizkid, Burna Boy, Pretty Boy D-O Show Support At The Native Magazine Issue 2 Launch in London". The Culture Custodian. 11 May 2018. Retrieved 29 June 2021.
- Adeoye, Aanu. "The 23-year-old Nigerian who designed a special edition jersey with Nike". CNN. CNN. Retrieved 29 June 2021.
- "The Native's Football Shirt is Worthy of the Pitch and the Dance Hall". Nike News. Nike. Retrieved 29 June 2021.
- "From "Made In Lagos" to His Music Journey… Wizkid teams up with Native Magazine to Create WizMag". BellaNaija. 14 December 2020. Retrieved 29 June 2021.
- Ayomide, Damilola (14 December 2020). "Wizkid Partners With Native Magazine For 'Made In Lagos' Limited Edition". Information Nigeria. Retrieved 29 June 2021.
- Idowu, Tomi (28 December 2016). "NATIVELAND Festival 2016 in pictures". The Culture Custodian (Est. 2014). Retrieved 19 July 2021.