The Murder of Fred Hampton
The Murder of Fred Hampton is a 1971 documentary film which began with the intention of portraying Fred Hampton and the Illinois Black Panther Party. During the film's production, Hampton was assassinated by the Chicago Police Department.
|The Murder of Fred Hampton|
|Directed by||Howard Alk|
|Produced by||Mike Gray|
|Edited by||Howard Alk|
|Distributed by||Facets Multi-Media|
Chicago Film Group, MGA Inc
This section does not cite any sources. (February 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The documentary is split into two parts: a portrait of Fred Hampton and an investigative report in his death. Through re-enactments, evidence from the scene, and interviews, the documentary alleges that Hampton's death was murder by the Chicago police.
In a retrospective, Roger Ebert called it "less compelling as investigative journalism than as an archive of political vernacular." A. H. Weiler of The New York Times called it "a disturbingly somber illustration of some of the ills that beset us and our social system." Spencer Parsons of the Austin Chronicle wrote that the film's coverage of Hampton is riveting and does not shy away from controversy. Noel Murray of The A.V. Club rated it B+ and called it an immersive experience and "more satisfying portrait of activism" than American Revolution 2 (1969). David Walker of DVD Talk rated it 4.5/5 stars and wrote, "As a documentary, The Murder of Fred Hampton serves as a lasting memorial to Hampton's great legacy and tragic killing. Equally important, the film is an example of the power of independent media in providing the truth, when much of the mainstream media simply chooses to recycle the information they are given without digging beneath the surface."
- Ebert, Roger (1971-10-11). "Interview with Mike Gray". RogerEbert.com. Retrieved 2014-01-04.
- Gray, Mike. "Mike Gray - The Murder of Fred Hampton". Mike-Gray.org. Retrieved 2008-09-25.
- "Revisiting US Domestic State Terror: The Murder of Fred Hampton". Counterpunch.org. Retrieved 02/06/10`5. Check date values in:
- Ebert, Roger (2008-08-21). "Looking back at 1968, through a lens". RogerEbert.com. Retrieved 2013-01-04.
- Weiler, A. H. (1971-10-05). "The Murder of Fred Hampton (1971)". The New York Times. Retrieved 2014-01-04.
- Parsons, Spencer (2007-06-08). "The Murder of Fred Hampton". Austin Chronicle. Retrieved 2014-01-04.
- Murray, Noel (2007-06-06). "American Revolution 2 / The Murder of Fred Hampton". The A.V. Club. Retrieved 2014-01-04.
- Walker, David (2007-05-29). "The Murder of Fred Hampton". DVD Talk. Retrieved 2014-01-04.