The sculpture, carved in stone, was commissioned by the Musée National d'Art Moderne in 1936 and now can be found at the Museum of Fine Arts of Lyon. La Montagne was also cast in lead by the Rudier Foundry and the Emile Godard Foundry in an edition of six numbered casts, as four artist's proofs, and as two estate casts. In addition to gracing a number of private collections, casts of La Montagne can be viewed at these locations:
- "La Montagne [The mountain]". National Gallery of Australia. Retrieved 24 August 2018.
- "Aristide Maillol, La Montagne". Sotheby's. Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- "Mountain". Norton Simon Museum. Retrieved 2019-08-14.
- "The Mountain". Saint Louis Art Museum. Retrieved 2019-08-14.
- "The Mountain". Columbus Museum of Art. Retrieved 2019-08-12.
- Nolan, Dan (December 7, 2017). "Kenyon Collegian Archives". Kenyon Collegian Archives. Retrieved April 24, 2021.