The Mill (company)
The Mill is a VFX and Creative Content studio headquartered in London, England, with three offices in the United States & one office in India. The Mill produces visual effects, moving image, design and digital projects for the advertising, games and music industries.
|Founders||Robin Shenfield and Pat Joseph|
|Headquarters||11–14 Windmill Street|
Number of locations
New York City
In 1990, Robin Shenfield and Pat Joseph opened The Mill in Soho, London. Starting as a visual effects house for the advertising industry, it was the first VFX company in Europe to use exclusively digital methods.
2002 saw The Mill open a studio in New York, becoming the first UK visual effects house to do so. The extension of operations to the US was successful, with the company growing to employ over 100 staff by 2009.
The Mill was also launched in Los Angeles in 2007 – the first UK visual effects house to open on the West Coast – and the new venture was highly successful.
In 2013 The Mill opened an office in Chicago, sharing its premises with editorial house The Whitehouse in the Courthouse Place building.
In 2011 The Mill was acquired by The Carlyle Group, who then sold it to Barclays Private Equity (later rebranded as Equistone Partners Europe). On 15 September 2015, Technicolor SA acquired The Mill for €259 million from Equistone.
The Mill is involved in a range of visual effects and design projects in the commercial, gaming and music industries. The company's supervisors, producers and artists support all stages of production, from pre-visualisation and conceptual artwork, shoot supervision, 3D, 2D and colour grading through to delivery of the finished project.
Beam.tv was launched in 2002 as an online digital delivery and content management platform. Beam was originally established as an in-house FTP process to allow clients to review and approve visual-effects work being completed by The Mill in London. AdText.tv launched in 2008 for commercial subtitling.
Mill+ launched in 2013 as a creative studio focusing on motion graphics, design and animation.
ITV“1” idents 2006
BBC TWO curve idents 2018–
- Bud Light (2011)
- Film and Television
|2001||Academy Awards||Best Visual Effects||Gladiator||Won|||
|2004||MTV Video Music Awards||Best Visual Effects||"Walkie Talkie Man" by Steriogram||Nominated|
|2006||Royal Television Society Craft & Design Awards||Visual Effects – Digital Effects||Doctor Who (series 2)||Nominated|||
|2007||British Academy Television Craft Awards||Visual Effects||Doctor Who||Nominated|||
|2008||British Academy Television Craft Awards||Visual Effects||Doctor Who ("Voyage of the Damned")||Nominated|||
|2009||British Academy Television Craft Awards||Visual Effects||Doctor Who ("The Fires of Pompeii")||Won|||
|2009||Royal Television Society Craft & Design Awards||Visual Effects – Digital Effects||Doctor Who ("The Next Doctor")||Won|||
|2010||British Academy Television Craft Awards||Visual Effects||Doctor Who ("The Fires of Pompeii")||Nominated|||
|2010||British Academy Television Craft Awards||Visual Effects||Merlin||Nominated|||
|2010||Royal Television Society Craft & Design Awards||Visual Effects – Digital Effects||Merlin ("The Last Dragonlord")||Nominated|||
|2011||British Academy Television Craft Awards||Visual Effects||Merlin||Won|||
|2011||British Academy Television Craft Awards||Visual Effects||Doctor Who||Nominated|||
|2011||MTV Video Music Awards||Best Visual Effects||"Don't Turn the Lights On" by Chromeo||Nominated|
|2011||Royal Television Society Craft & Design Awards||Visual Effects – Digital Effects||Doctor Who ("A Christmas Carol")||Nominated|||
|2012||British Academy Television Craft Awards||Visual Effects||Sinbad ("Pilot")||Nominated|||
|2013||British Academy Television Craft Awards||Visual Effects & Graphic Design||Doctor Who||Nominated|||
In addition to film and television, The Mill has won or been nominated for numerous awards, both national and international, in the advertising industry.
- British Arrows Craft Awards
- Cannes Lions Awards
- Clio Awards
- Creative Circle Awards
- D&AD Awards
- Eurobest European Advertising Festival
- London International Awards
- Visual Effects Society Awards
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 23 October 2012. Retrieved 30 November 2012.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- The Mill: Europe's First Fully Digital VFX House, Animation World Network, 5 June 2003
- Goldrich, Robert. "The Mill Opens Chicago Studio Under Aegis of Executive Producer Jared Yeater". ShootOnline. Retrieved 1 March 2013.
- "Barclays Private Equity acquires The Mill, the market leading visual effects company, from The Carlyle Group for £119m". Equistone Partners Europe. 19 April 2011.
- "TECHNICOLOR ACQUIRES VISUAL EFFECTS LEADER IN ADVERTISING THE MILL FOR €259 MILLION". Technicolor SA. 15 September 2015.
- "Q&A: Oscar-winning digital trickery". BBC. 6 July 2001.
- "RTS CRAFT AND DESIGN WINNERS 2006". Royal Television Society.
- "BAFTA Awards: Television Craft in 2007". British Academy of Film and Television Arts.
- "BAFTA Awards: Television Craft in 2008". British Academy of Film and Television Arts.
- "Bafta craft awards 2009: full list of winners". The Guardian. 18 May 2009.
- "BAFTA Awards: Television Craft in 2009". British Academy of Film and Television Arts.
- "RTS CRAFT AND DESIGN WINNERS 2009". Royal Television Society.
- "BAFTA Awards: Television Craft in 2010". British Academy of Film and Television Arts.
- "RTS CRAFT AND DESIGN WINNERS 2010". Royal Television Society.
- "BAFTA Awards: Television Craft in 2011". British Academy of Film and Television Arts.
- "Bafta Craft awards: BBC Wales wins five prizes". BBC. 9 May 2011.
- "RTS ANNOUNCES WINNERS OF CRAFT & DESIGN AWARDS 2011". Royal Television Society.
- "RTS ANNOUNCES WINNERS FOR CRAFT & DESIGN AWARDS 2012". Royal Television Society.
- "BAFTA Awards: Television Craft in 2013". British Academy of Film and Television Arts.