Nobody's Fool (2018 film)(Redirected from The List (2018 film))
Nobody's Fool is a 2018 American romantic comedy-drama film written and directed by Tyler Perry. It stars Tiffany Haddish, Tika Sumpter, Omari Hardwick, Mehcad Brooks, Amber Riley and Whoopi Goldberg, and follows a recently-paroled woman who tries to help her sister with a man who may be catfishing her. The film marks Tyler Perry's first R-rated comedy, as well as his first film not to be distributed by Lionsgate.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Tyler Perry|
|Written by||Tyler Perry|
|Music by||Phillip White|
|Cinematography||Richard J. Vialet|
|Edited by||Larry Sexton|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|Box office||$29.3 million|
Nobody's Fool was released in the United States on November 2, 2018, by Paramount Pictures. The film received generally negative reviews from critics and has grossed over $29 million worldwide.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (November 2018)
Tanya (Tiffany Haddish) is released from prison and reunites with her sister Danica (Tika Sumpter), only to learn she is in an online relationship with a mysterious man who Tanya suspects is "catfishing" her.
- Tika Sumpter as Danica
- Tiffany Haddish as Tanya, Danica's sister
- Whoopi Goldberg as Lola; Tanya and Danica's mother
- Omari Hardwick as Frank, Tanya's boss and Danica's boyfriend
- Amber Riley as Kalli
- Mehcad Brooks as Charlie
- Missi Pyle as Lauren Meadows
- Jon Rudnitsky as Benji
- David Arvesen as BC
- Chris Rock as Lawrence
- Nev Schulman as Himself
- Max Joseph as Himself
In March 2018, it was announced Tiffany Haddish, Tika Sumpter and Omari Hardwick had been cast in the film, then titled The List, with Tyler Perry writing and directing, as well as serving as a producer under his Tyler Perry Studios banner. That same month, Whoopi Goldberg, Amber Riley, and Missi Pyle also joined the cast. Later, the film was retitled Nobody's Fool.
As of November 19, 2018, Nobody's Fool has grossed $29.1 million in the United States and Canada, and $300,000 in other territories, for a total worldwide total of $29.3 million.
In the United States and Canada, Nobody's Fool was released alongside The Nutcracker and the Four Realms and Bohemian Rhapsody, and was projected to gross $12–14 million from 2,468 theaters in its opening weekend. It made $4.8 million on its first day, including $600,000 from Thursday night previews. It went on to debut to $14 million, finishing third at the box office, and ranking among the lowest opening weekends of a Perry-directed film.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 21% based on 28 reviews, with an average rating of 4.2/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "Nobody's Fool has a pair of strong leads and a smattering of scenes that highlight Tiffany Haddish's talents -- all of which only make the uninspired end results more frustrating." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 39 out of 100, based on 11 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews." Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A–" on an A+ to F scale, while PostTrak reported filmgoers gave it 4 out of 5 stars.
Owen Gleiberman of Variety praised the performances of Haddish and Goldberg but wrote, "...in Nobody's Fool, Tiffany Haddish is just furious and funny enough to make you wish that the rest of the movie wasn't a droopy romantic comedy without the comedy."
- "Nobody's Fool". AMC Theatres. Retrieved October 7, 2018.
- "Nobody's Fool (2018)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved November 20, 2018.
- Hipes, Patrick (March 5, 2018). "Tiffany Haddish To Star In Tyler Perry's New Movie 'The List' For Paramount Players". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 8, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (March 26, 2018). "Whoopi Goldberg Joins Tyler Perry's 'The List'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 8, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (March 27, 2018). "'Glee's Amber Riley Added To 'The List'; Richard Gunn Cast In 'Clemency'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 8, 2018.
- "THE LIST STARRING TARAJI P HENSON – TYLER PERRY". Casting Call Hub. Retrieved April 8, 2018.
- Pyle, Missi (April 14, 2018). "This last week I got to work with one of the most damn near perfect, inspiring human beings of all time. @tylerperry #TheList That was SO FUN! Thank you for letting me come out and Play!! #IGuessIllHave toPutHimInOneOfMyMoviesNow". Instagram.com. Retrieved April 24, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (13 June 2018). "Tyler Perry's Tiffany Haddish Paramount Pic Gets Title, First Image Revealed".
- Steves, Ashley (April 3, 2018). "Now Casting: Play Background in 'The List' Starring Tiffany Haddish + 3 More Gigs". Backstage.com. Retrieved April 8, 2018.
- "Tyler Perry's 'The List' Starring Tiffany Haddish Atlanta Casting Call for Recurring Roles". ProjectCasting.com. April 7, 2018. Retrieved April 8, 2018.
- McNary, Dave (March 5, 2018). "Tiffany Haddish to Star in Tyler Perry Comedy 'The List'". Variety. Retrieved April 8, 2018.
- Fuster, Jeremy (October 30, 2018). "Can 'Bohemian Rhapsody' Find Box Office Success Despite Tepid Reviews?". TheWrap. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (November 4, 2018). "'Bohemian Rhapsody' Sends Thunderbolts And Lightning Through B.O. As Freddie Mercury Biopic Hits $50M Opening". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved November 4, 2018.
- "Nobody's Fool (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved November 7, 2018.
- "Nobody's Fool reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved November 7, 2018.
- Gleiberman, Owen (November 1, 2018). "Film Review: Tiffany Haddish in 'Nobody's Fool'". Variety. Penske Media. Retrieved November 2, 2018.