The Lion in Winter (2003 film)
The Lion in Winter is a 2003 made-for-television remake of the stage play of the same name and of the original 1968 screen version of the play which had featured Peter O'Toole and Katharine Hepburn.
|The Lion in Winter|
|Written by||James Goldman|
|Directed by||Andrei Konchalovsky|
|Theme music composer||Richard Hartley|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||167 minutes|
|Original network||Showtime Networks|
The remake was first shown on December 26, 2003 in the U.K. and premiered on U.S. television on May 26, 2004. It starred Patrick Stewart and Glenn Close, and was directed by Andrei Konchalovsky. It was filmed on location at Spiš Castle in eastern Slovakia, interiors were filmed in Budapest, Hungary.
In the year 1183, King Henry II of England has invited his three sons, his wife, and the new King of France to join him at his Christmas court at Chinon Castle. His eldest son Henry has died and now the King must decide upon a new heir. King Henry favours his youngest John. Queen Eleanor, who has been imprisoned the past ten years for staging a revolt against her husband, favours the older son Richard.
Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes gave the series a 60% rating based on 2298 user ratings, with an average rating of 3.5/5. Reviews tend to be mixed, with Variety saying the film "is a long sit but nevertheless a rewarding one" and of Close's performance, "her Eleanor manages to stand apart from Hepburn’s".
Awards and nominationsEdit
- Outstanding Costumes – Miniseries, Movie, or Special
- Best Actress – Miniseries or Television Film (Close)
- Outstanding Female Actor – Television Movie or Miniseries (Close)
- Excellence in Costume Design for Television – Fantasy or Period
- Outstanding Made for Television Movie
- Outstanding Actress – Miniseries or Movie (Close)
- Outstanding Directing – Miniseries, Movie, or Dramatic Special
- Outstanding Art Direction – Miniseries, Movie, or Special
- Outstanding Hairstyling – Miniseries, Movie, or Special
- Best Miniseries or Television Film
- Best Actor – Miniseries or Television Film (Stewart)
- Television Producer of the Year Award – Longform
- "Reviews: "The Lion in Winter" (1968 and 2003)". acrentropy.blogspot.ca. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "The Lion in Winter". CultureVulture. 20 May 2004. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- Hischak, Thomas S. (2017). 100 Greatest American Plays. Rowman & Littlefield. ISBN 9781442256064. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "PeriodDramas.com - The Lion in Winter". www.perioddramas.com. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "Report: Glenn Close and Patrick Stewart to film Lion in Winter | Playbill". Playbill. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "The Lion in Winter". rottentomatoes.com. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- Lowry, Brian (16 May 2004). "Review: 'The Lion in Winter'". Variety. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "Nominations Search". Television Academy. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "Winners & Nominees 2005". www.goldenglobes.com. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "Advanced Search | Screen Actors Guild Awards". www.sagawards.org. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "Breaking News - Producers Guild Awards Honorees | TheFutonCritic.com". thefutoncritic.com. Retrieved 27 August 2017.