The Lehman Trilogy
The Lehman Trilogy is a three-act play by Italian dramatist Stefano Massini. A history of Lehman Brothers, it was originally conceived as a radio play and it was first aired on Rai Radio 3 on November 26, 2012.
|The Lehman Trilogy|
|Written by||Stefano Massini|
|Date premiered||October 8, 2013|
|Place premiered||Comédie de Saint-Étienne (Saint-Étienne)|
Massini developed the radio version into a full-length play, which opened at Comédie de Saint-Étienne in Saint-Étienne in a French translation. In 2015 Luca Ronconi directed the Italian premiere, at Piccolo Teatro in Milan. The play was eventually translated into 11 languages and staged in several cities across Europe.
Adapted by Ben Power and directed by Sam Mendes, the play made its English debut in London at the Royal National Theatre at the Lyttelton Theatre, running from 12 July 2018 to 20 October 2018.
Mendes said: " 'The Lehman Trilogy' was developed over three years without the constraint of a schedule, or even a destination—I was allowed time to find its form, and to build a wonderful team with which to make it. One of the chief joys has been to work across borders with two great writers, and to invite three of the finest actors of their generation to work with us. We are indebted to the National Theatre and the Park Avenue Armory for their unstinting support throughout..."
The original play lasts for five hours and Power has written it into a three-hour English version. With a cast of only three actors, Simon Russell Beale, Ben Miles and Adam Godley, the play tells the vicissitude of American capitalism through the 164-year-history of Lehman Brothers, from when Henry Lehman, a German Jew, first migrated to the US and opened his store in Alabama, to the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. that triggered the 2008 financial crisis.
|Role||Milan, 2015||National Theatre, 2018||Understudy|
|Henry Lehman||Massimo De Francovich||Simon Russell Beale||Leighton Pugh|
|Emanuel Lehman||Fabrizio Gifuni||Ben Miles||Dominik Tiefenthaler|
|Mayer Lehman||Massimo Popolizio||Adam Godley||Will Harrison-Wallace|
The three actors not only play the three Lehman brothers who founded the business but all other roles. They play their children and grandchildren, including Philip Lehman (son of Emanuel, played by Simon Russell Beale), Herbert Lehman (son of Mayer, played by Ben Miles), and Robert Lehman (son of Philip, played by Adam Godley), as well as various minor characters during the unfolding of family history such as wives, toddlers, business partners. Although they never change the original costume – tailored three-piece suits often seen in 19th century portraits of men.
The play has been highly praised by critics for the successful adaption that both preserves the essence, the poetic language of the original play and makes it more succinct; the elegant, well-paced direction that narrates with simplicity, depth and richness; and the superb, versatile acting of the cast, who seem to metamorphose at will with the characters they put on. The set design by Es Devlin – a rotating glass box furnished in the style of a contemporary office, as well as the video projection in the back stage that accompany the set, showing the changing landscapes in time and space during the development of the business and American capitalism created by Luke Halls, also make a great impression. Both Guardian and The Times give a five-star mark.
Awards and nominationsEdit
- Best New Play
- Best Actor – Adam Godley, Ben Miles and Simon Russell Beale
- Best Director
- Best Set Design – Es Devlin
- Best Sound Design – Nick Powell
- Giulio Einaudi (ed.). "Stefano Massini, Lehman Trilogy, Libri, Einaudi". www.einaudi.it. Retrieved 12 April 2017.
- Lehman Trilogy doppiozero.com (in Italian), 2014
- Angelini, Francesca. "The Italian playwright Stefano Massini on The Lehman Trilogy". The Times. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- The Lehman Trilogy nationaltheatre.org.uk, accessed 6 March 2019
- McPhee, Ryan. "What Did Critics Think of 'The Lehman Trilogy' at London's National Theatre?" playbill, July 13, 2018
- Lefkowitz, Andy. " 'The Lehman Trilogy' Will Transfer to the West End's Piccadilly Theatre" broadway.com, October 15, 2018
- Clement, Olivia. " 'The Lehman Trilogy' to Transfer to West End in Spring 2019" playbill, October 15, 2018
- Brantely, Ben. "Review: 'The Lehman Trilogy' Is a Transfixing Epic of Riches and Ruin". The New York Times. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- Billington, Michael (13 July 2018). "The Lehman Trilogy review – Mendes is on the money with astonishing saga". The Guardian.
- Morgan, Fergus. "The Lehman Trilogy at the National Theatre – review round-up". The Stage. Retrieved 24 August 2018.
- McPhee, Ryan. "2019 Olivier Award Nominations: London's 'Company' and 'Come From Away' Lead the Pack" playbill, 5 March 2019
- Olivier Awards 2019 winners & nominees, Society of London Theatre, 7 April 2019