The Killer Bride
The Killer Bride is a 2019 Philippine drama television series starring Maja Salvador, Janella Salvador, Joshua Garcia and Geoff Eigenmann. The series aired on ABS-CBN's Primetime Bida evening block and worldwide via The Filipino Channel from August 12, 2019 to January 17, 2020, replacing Sino ang Maysala?: Mea Culpa.
|The Killer Bride|
|Created by||Arah Jell G. Badayos|
|Directed by||Diosdado "Dado" C. Lumibao|
|Opening theme||"Halik sa Hangin" by KZ Tandingan|
|Ending theme||"Bawat Daan" by Zephanie|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Original languages||Filipino |
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||115 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer||Ann D. Guimbangunan|
|Producer||Myleen H. Ongkiko|
|Running time||27–41 minutes|
|Production company||RCD Narratives|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Original release||August 12, 2019 –|
January 17, 2020
Las Espadas was once a town full of vast greenery and plantations by generations of wealthy landowners and their farmers until a 1999 major crop plague doomed across their land, sparking a superstitious tale among the locals.
The tale stems from a woman named Camila dela Torre, who in 1999—right before her wedding day, "killed" their mayor and was found by her fiance in a matching bloody wedding dress and veil. During her murder trial, Camila begs to the court that she is wrongfully accused, but is eventually shunned by her own rich, prominent family and fiance Vito dela Cuesta who testifies against her. Resulting in Camila's life imprisonment, she eventually gives birth to a beautiful baby girl in prison. Days later, a sudden freak fire encompasses the entire prison facility. Crying, desperate and unable to locate her newborn daughter, her last words exact revenge on every person who falsely accused her, all whilst her body burned in the flames.
18 years pass and urban legend fuses into reality as a group of teenagers headed by Elias Sanchez again tell the story of Camila. Playfully, they claim that on the day of the blood moon eclipse, the ghost of Camila will possess a new body and kickstart her vow for revenge. As if fulfilling the prophecy, a girl from nowhere, Emma Bonaobra moves to the town. Securing a job as the town's mortuary cosmetologist, she is told of the tale of The Killer Bride but disbelieves it. Lo and behold, Emma wakes up possessed, gatecrashing her family's grand party event claiming that she is the long-dead Camila, The Killer Bride. The entire town begin to question her motives. Is this a haunting chronicle that connects the rival dela Torre vs. dela Cuesta families who battled for land and politics—or is this simply a tale of The Killer Bride's spirit destined to curse the town?
Cast and charactersEdit
- Maja Salvador as Camila dela Torre[a]
- Janella Salvador as Emma Bonaobra/ Emma Sharon Serrano/ Vida dela Cuesta[b]
- Joshua Garcia as Elias Sanchez[c]
- Geoff Eigenmann as Vito dela Cuesta
The Dela Torre'sEdit
- Lara Quigaman as Alice Montero-dela Torre / Belladonna, Juan Felipe's wife who turned out to be the Killer Groom and is having an affair with Luciano
- Cris Villanueva as Luciano dela Torre, A man who wants to take over the family's business.
- James Blanco as Mayor Juan Felipe dela Torre, The former mayor of Las Espadas and the husband of Alice.
- Aurora Sevilla as Guada dela Torre, The grandmother of Camila.
- Ariella Arida as Tatiana dela Torre, A beauty queen who hates Camila for calling her aunt.
- Sam Concepcion as Mayor Luis dela Torre, The mayor of Las Espadas and the son of Juan Felipe and Alice.
- Eddie Gutierrez as Jacobo dela Torre, The grandfather of Camila.
The Dela Cuesta'sEdit
- Loren Burgos as Tessa Cruz-dela Cuesta, The wife of Vito.
- Alexa Ilacad as Luna C. dela Cuesta, Vito and Tessas's daughter.
- Jobelle Salvador as Antonia dela Cuesta, Vito's mother
- Dominic Ochoa as Javier dela Cuesta, Vito's brother
- Mike Lloren as Chief Alejandro dela Cuesta
- Malou de Guzman as Marichu "Manay Ichu" Sagrado, Camila's nanny who helped Camila.
- Miko Raval as Fabio Serrano / Edmundo, The one who helped Camila.
- Mara Lopez as Agnes Dimaguiba / Agnes Sagrado
- Viveika Ravanes as Ornusa Lim
- Pamu Pamorada as Tsoknat Tumulak
- Neil Coleta as Intoy Ilagan
- Pepe Herrera as Iking Isip
- Keanna Reeves as Ingrid Sanchez
- Eric Nicolas as Aran Sanchez
- Vivoree Esclito as Mildred
- CK Keiron as Mario
- Soliman Cruz as Andres "Manoy" del Pilar
- Melizza Jimenez as Sonya
- Maricel Morales as Aurora Bonaobra
- Manuel Chua as Matias Gonzales
- Tanya Gomez as Agot
- Mario Capalad as Omar
- Maila Gumila as Atty. de Leon
- Sammie Rimando as Belinda dela Torre
- Akihiro Blanco as Armando dela Cuesta
- Angelo Ilagan as Renato dela Torre
- Marco Masa as young Luis
- Karla Pambid as Sharon Serrano
- Angelica Rama as young Emma
- Yñigo Delen as young Elias
- Kyle Velino as Jorge Faeldonea
- Aldrin Angeles as Benjamin Perez
- Jessica Marco as Kayla Salamanca
- Mickey Ferriols as Amalia Gonzales
The Killer Bride premiered on ABS-CBN on August 12, 2019. It aired weeknights at 9:15 PM PST on the network's Primetime Bida evening block and worldwide via TFC. The show concluded on January 17, 2020 and was replaced by A Soldier's Heart beginning January 22, 2020.
An extended version of the series, The Killer Bride: Killer Cuts, streamed exclusively on iWant and ran concurrently with the series. Killer Cuts showed the primetime series’ unrated and uncensored scenes.
Reruns started airing on Jeepney TV since November 9, 2020.
Series lead Maja Salvador was supposed to do another series which would have been the follow up to the wildly successful Wildflower. However, as the series was to tackle marital infidelity, which she has already done in The Legal Wife, she turned down the role to pursue The Killer Bride. Maja Salvador landed the role in May 2019 when, while doing iWant Originals Hinahanap-hanap Kita with The Killer Bride co-stars Geoff Eigenmann, Pepe Herrera and Pamu Pamorada, she convinced Business Unit Manager, Roda C. Dela Cerna to let her audition for the role. Although there was trepidation on the part of Dela Cerna as she knew Salvador was supposed to do another series, she nevertheless allowed Salvador to audition because the original actress tapped for the role ultimately turned down the part of Camila.
The show and the cast was first announced by ABS-CBN on June 28, 2019.
The project serves as a reunion project for Maja Salvador and leading man Geoff Eignmann, who has just returned from his stint in the GMA Network. The two have previously worked together on the film Villa Estrella and was also set to star in the teleserye Moon River that was shelved and ultimately did not push through after Eigenmann's move to GMA Network.
The series would also see many "firsts" for series lead Janella Salvador. The series would mark the first time she would work with real-life aunts, Maja Salvador and Jobelle Salvador. The series would also see her being paired for the first time with Joshua Garcia, who was previously paired with perrenial loveteam partner and ex-girlfriend Julia Barretto.
The Killer Bride has been well-received by viewers and netizens alike with the show's episodes not only obtaining good ratings but also making for top trending topics.
The show has been praised for its writing, its twists in particular being cited for subverting the horror genre. These twists in the story have themselves become top trending topics on their own. The show has likewise been praised for integrating a measure of social commentary on its scenes and its dialogue.
From its pilot episode, The Killer Bride proved itself as a hit by recording a high pilot episode rating of 23.1%. In the same month as its debut, the show was pitted against a new rival which it managed to beat in the ratings and also saw the show registering its highest rating, 25.6% for its August 30, 2019 episode. This was notable because its timeslot normally sees a steep decline in ratings. While its finale rating is noticeably smaller as compared to its peak and its pilot rating, its finale rating of 19.3% is still considered a success in comparison to the show it was pitted against as shown by it being the fifth most watched program on the day of its finale.
|Pilot Episode||Finale Episode||Peak||Average|
August 12, 2019
January 17, 2020
August 30, 2019
- Camila used the alias Alba Almeida in her casino business as Camila dela Torre was already believed to have perished in the fire in the women's correctional.
- Emma is the name given by the prison guard Aurora Bonaobra to the young Vida dela Torre-dela Cuesta when she took the child and raised her as her own. After Camila took Emma under her care, Fabio formally adopted Emma and gave her the name Emma Sharon Serrano, her second name being in honor of Fabio's deceased sister.
- Elias' birth name is Elias Gonzales. He carries the last name Sanchez because he was legally adopted by Aran and Ingrid Sanchez
South Africa - The series was released on March 20, 2021 via StarTimes.
- "LOOK: Behind the scenes pics we all need to see before The Killer Bride ends | ABS-CBN Entertainment". ent.abs-cbn.com. Retrieved 2020-12-11.
- "About The Killer Bride".
- Matalog, Patricia (May 31, 2019). "Maja, Joshua + Janella, to star in new teleserye!". Star Cinema. Retrieved June 7, 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "'Mas wild!' Maja Salvador is The Killer Bride in gothic romance series". ABS-CBN News. July 1, 2019. Retrieved July 19, 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Maja, Geoff, Janella, and Joshua are taken over by love and fear in The Killer Bride". ABS-CBN Corporate. July 26, 2019. Retrieved August 1, 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- WATCH: ‘The Killer Bride’ Full Trailer. ABS-CBN Entertainment. July 26, 2019. Retrieved July 26, 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Maja, Geoff, Janella, Joshua fight for their lives in "The Killer Bride" finale". ABS-CBN Entertainment. December 14, 2020. Retrieved April 19, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Bonifacio, Julie E. (October 1, 2019). "TOTOO BA: Maja Salvador was not first choice as lead star of The Killer Bride". PEP. Retrieved April 19, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Anarcon, James Patrick (January 14, 2020). "Was Ivana Alawi's upcoming teleserye originally intended for Maja Salvador?". PEP. Retrieved April 20, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Miguel, Dumaual (July 1, 2019). "'Mas wild!' Maja Salvador is 'The Killer Bride' in gothic romance series". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved April 20, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Anarcon, James Patrick (May 30, 2019). "Joshua Garcia gets new leading lady; Maja Salvador gets follow-up series after Wildflower". PEP. Retrieved April 20, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Bonifacio, Julie E. (July 27, 2019). "Jobelle Salvador surprised when she learned she will join Maja Salvador and Janella Salvador in The Killer Bride". PEP. Retrieved April 20, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Cruz, Marinel R. (December 30, 2019). "Why Maja Salvador finds role in 'The Killer Bride' her most challenging so far". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved April 19, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Henares, Tim (August 29, 2019). "8 Low-Key Reasons Why 'The Killer Bride' is a Massive Hit". 8list. Retrieved April 19, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Miguel, Dumaual (August 29, 2019). "WATCH: As Maja-Janella twist unravels, 'Killer Bride' tops worldwide trends". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved April 20, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Dumaual, Miguel (January 11, 2020). "'Killer Bride' shocker: Camila dies, becomes ghost in paranormal twist". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved April 20, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Anarcon, James Patrick (August 29, 2019). "Netizens react to Maja Salvador plot twist in The Killer Bride". PEP. Retrieved April 19, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Malasig, Jeline (October 1, 2019). "Some clips of ABS-CBN primetime show 'The Killer Bride' are going viral. Here's why". Interaksyon. Retrieved April 20, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ""The Killer Bride" records high pilot ratings". ABS-CBN Corporation. August 15, 2019. Retrieved April 20, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Ratings: 'Killer Bride' scares 'Better Woman' with back-to-back record". ABS-CBN News. September 2, 2019. Retrieved April 20, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Ratings: 'The Killer Bride' slayed rival until very end". ABS-CBN News. January 20, 2020. Retrieved April 20, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Anarcon, James Patrick (January 20, 2020). "The Killer Bride finale vs. One of the Baes: who wins in the ratings game?". PEP. Retrieved April 20, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "National TV Ratings (August 9–12, 2019)". ABS-CBN Corporate. August 13, 2019. Retrieved August 13, 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "National TV Ratings (January 17–19, 2020)". ABS-CBN Corporate. January 21, 2020. Retrieved January 21, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "National TV Ratings (August 30 – September 1, 2019)". ABS-CBN Corporate. September 2, 2019. Retrieved September 2, 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)