The Jerks is a rock band from the Philippines formed in 1979, and perhaps, is the original alternative rock and blues band in the country. The band has undergone a lot of member changes and notably a lot of the previous members of the band are now certified icons themselves in the music scene. Members like Chickoy Pura, Nitoy Adriano, Jun Lopito, Angelo Villegas, and others have carved names in their respective niches. Other performers who have played with the Jerks is former Put3ska drummer Brutus Lacano as a session musician, and drummer Benjie Santos.
|Genres||Pinoy rock, punk rock, blues rock|
|Past members||Jun Lopito|
Flor Mendoza (deceased)
Despite having been formed in 1979, they only released their debut record in 1994 entitled The Jerks Live, released under Gary Granada's Backdoor Records. It was recorded live at the legendary Mayric's bar and showcases the raw, passionate musicality of the band never before put into record. The Jerks also released a self-titled album in the late '90s.
By 1998, Star Music managed to convince the band to record a major label album called Haligi Ng Maynila, produced by ABS-CBN's Gabby Lopez, which gave the band the opportunity to reach a wider audience. This paved the way to the band winning the 1998 NU Rock Award for Best Album and the 1998 Katha Award for Best Rock Song, "Reklamo ng Reklamo".
|Year||Award Giving Body||Category||Nominated Work||Results|
|1998||NU Rock Awards||Album of the Year||"The Jerks"||Won|
|2004||NU Rock Awards||Hall of Fame||N/A||Won|
- "Biography 2.) The Jerks - Philippines". last.fm.
- "Chickoy Pura's leap of faith: A journeyman's journey". Inquirer Lifestyle. 2019-09-14. Retrieved 2019-11-23.
- "Old Dog, New Licks". Inquirer Lifestyle. 2013-05-04. Retrieved 2019-11-23.
- Pastor, Pam (2006-10-16). "ALL ROADS lead to ROUTE 196!". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2007-09-25.
- "Shows and Events:The Jerks". Archived from the original on 2007-09-30. Retrieved 2007-09-25.
| NU Rock Awards
Album of the Year
"Grip Stand Throw" & "Serve In Silence"
Sandwich (band) & Wolfgang