The Independents (UK)
The Independents is a group of independent MPs in the UK House of Commons founded in July 2019. The group, which is not a registered political party, describes itself as a "co-operative of independent politicians" who hope to "encourage a stronger spirit of cross-party working" and "will work collaboratively in the national interest". As a technical group, The Independents do not have any formal policies, only providing administrative support to its members who are bound by its six key values of "country first, collaboration, integrity, respect, leadership and openness".
|Founded||10 July 2019|
|Split from||Change UK|
|Headquarters||1 Mill Yard|
|House of Commons|
3 / 650
The group was formed on 10 July 2019 by five MPs. Four were among the six MPs who left Change UK on 4 June. They had been in that party since February 2019, having previously been members of the Labour Party or the Conservative Party. Of the others who left Change UK at that time, Chuka Umunna and Sarah Wollaston joined the Liberal Democrats. The fifth member of the new group, John Woodcock, was suspended from Labour in 2018 over charges of harassment and left the party while under investigation. He has offered to have the charges investigated under the new group's procedures.
In an interview following the formation of the group, Heidi Allen explained that the group would not offer a policy platform; instead it will provide administrative functions and support to member MPs. She also stated that there is no intention for the group to become a political party.
The following MPs are members:
|Heidi Allen||South Cambridgeshire||10 July 2019||Previously acting leader of Change UK; was elected as a Conservative MP|
|Gavin Shuker||Luton South||10 July 2019||Previously a member of Change UK; was elected as a Labour MP|
|John Woodcock||Barrow and Furness||10 July 2019||Was elected as a Labour MP|
The following MPs have previously been members:
|Luciana Berger||Liverpool Wavertree||10 July 2019||5 September 2019||Previously a member of Change UK; was elected as a Labour MP. Joined the Liberal Democrats.|
|Angela Smith||Penistone and Stocksbridge||10 July 2019||7 September 2019||Previously a member of Change UK; was elected as a Labour MP. Joined the Liberal Democrats.|
- Zeffman, Henry (10 July 2019). "All change: independent MPs team up, but not as a party". The Times. Retrieved 10 July 2019.(subscription required)
- McCarthy, Sebastian (10 July 2019). "Take two: Ex-Change UK MPs forge new alliance called The Independents". City AM. Retrieved 11 July 2019.
- Lines, Harriet (11 July 2019). "Five UK MPs form new commons grouping to support independent parliamentarians". Gibraltar Chronicle. Press Association. Retrieved 11 July 2019.
- "Values". The Independents. Retrieved 11 July 2019.
- Chaplain, Chloe (10 July 2019). "The Independents: Ex-Change UK MPs re-brand again with another new political group". The i. Retrieved 11 July 2019.
- Morris, James (10 July 2019). "The Independents: Ex-Change UK MPs form ANOTHER political group". Evening Standard. Retrieved 10 July 2019.
- Elgot, Jessica (10 July 2019). "Change UK exiles rebrand again as the Independents". The Guardian. Retrieved 11 July 2019.
- "Ex-Labour MP Berger switches to Liberal Democrats". BBC News. 5 September 2019. Retrieved 5 September 2019.
- "Angela Smith: Former Labour MP joins the Lib Dems". BBC News. 7 September 2019. Retrieved 5 September 2019.
- "Who is involved". The Independents. Retrieved 11 July 2019.