|Illustrator||H. R. Millar|
|Genre||Fantasy, Children's Novel|
|Publisher||T. Fisher Unwin|
|Media type||Print (hardback & paperback)|
|Followed by||Harding's Luck|
A boy named Edred Arden inherits the title of Lord Arden and the dilapidated Arden Castle. He and his sister Elfrida search for the lost treasure of the Ardens and, with the help of the magical Mouldiwarp, they travel back in time searching for clues. The past events they witness include
- 1807: Napoleon's planned invasion of the United Kingdom, the British military response, and the smuggling around Dymchurch Bay (called "Lymchurch" in the story)
- c. 1705: a visit from the "Chevalier St. George" (the Old Pretender) during the reign of Queen Anne
- 1605: the Gunpowder Plot and a meeting with Sir Walter Raleigh in the Tower of London, from which the children escape using the same stratagem that Lady Nithsdale used in 1717
- ca. 1535: a May Day celebration with Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII, with premonitions of Anne's execution.
A sequel, Harding's Luck, was published in 1909.
- The House of Arden at Standard Ebooks
- The House of Arden at Faded Page (Canada)
- The House of Arden at Google Books
- The House of Arden public domain audiobook at LibriVox