The Hero of Color City
The Hero of Color City is a 2014 American computer-animated comedy film directed by Frank Gladstone and written by Jess Kedward, J.P. McCormick, Kirsty Peart, and Rich Raczelowski. The film stars Christina Ricci, Sean Astin, Owen Wilson, E.G. Daily, Jessica Capshaw, Rosie Perez, Tara Strong, Craig Ferguson, Wayne Brady, Jess Harnell and David Kaye. Original songs and score by Zoë Poledouris and Angel Roché Jr. The film was released in a limited theatrical engagement on October 3, 2014 by Magnolia Pictures, followed by releases on Video On Demand and Home Entertainment platforms.
|The Hero of Color City|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Frank Gladstone|
|Produced by||John D. Eraklis|
|Screenplay by||Jess Kedward|
|Music by||Zoë Poledouris|
Angel Roché Jr.
|Edited by||Josh Gladstone|
Exodus Film Group
|Distributed by||Magnolia Pictures|
Every night when Ben goes to bed, his crayons come to life and set out to Color City. Yellow, a timid crayon afraid of everything, accidentally summons two unfinished drawings known as King Scrawl and his sidekick Gnat. The crayons are forced to act quickly in order to save their town before their colors fade.
- Christina Ricci as Yellow, a yellow crayon
- Tara Strong as Yellow's singing voice
- Rosie Perez as Red, a red crayon
- Jeremy Guskin as Professor Heliotrope/White/Grey/Orange
- Jess Harnell as Green, a green crayon
- Yui Aragaki as Cyan, a cyan crayon
- Wayne Brady as Blue, a blue crayon
- Sophia Eraklis as Purple, a purple crayon
- Zoë Bright as Madame Pink, a pink crayon
- Sean Astin as Bumble Bee
- Owen Wilson as Ricky, a fire-breathing dragon and the leader of the drawings. He is seen at the end of the film with Yellow and his assistant Duck.
- E.G. Daily as Ben/Mom/Tutti Frutti/Neon Lime
- Jessica Capshaw as Duck, a duck and Ricky's assistant
- Craig Ferguson as Nat, a nat who is King Scrawl's advisor
- David Kaye as Black/King Scrawl
- Robin Howard as Tangerine/Periwinkle/Aquamarine
- John D. Eraklis as Navy Blue
- Frank Gladstone as Refried Bean/Astronaut
- Tom Lowell as Brown
- Laura Lane as Horse
- Zoe Bright as Opera Singer
- Josh Gladstone as Cow
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film received a rating of 25%, based on 20 reviews, with an average rating of 3.5/10. On Metacritic, the film has a rating of 33 out of 100, based on 12 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".
The film received a positive reception from viewers on streaming platforms, with viewer ratings of 4 out of 5 stars on iTunes, 3.9 out of 5 stars on Google Play, and 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon Prime.
The film had a limited release on October 3, 2014.
DVD and Blu-ray was released on December 2, 2014.
- "The Hero of Color City IMDB Credits". Retrieved August 22, 2019.
- "The Hero of Color City (2014) - Box Office Mojo". Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "The Hero of Color City". 3 October 2014. Retrieved 3 October 2014.
- "The Hero of Color City Reviews - Metacritic". Retrieved 3 October 2014.
- "The Hero of Color City iTunes page". Retrieved August 22, 2019.
- "The Hero of Color City Google Play". Google Play. Retrieved August 22, 2019.
- "The Hero of Color City Amazon Prime page". Retrieved August 22, 2019.