The Great Man Votes
The Great Man Votes is a 1939 American drama film starring John Barrymore as a widowed professor turned drunkard who has the deciding vote in an election for mayor. It was based on the short story of the same name by Gordon Malherbe Hillman published in the November 1933 issue of American Magazine. The plot of the 2008 movie Swing Vote has been compared to The Great Man Votes.
|The Great Man Votes|
|Directed by||Garson Kanin|
|Produced by||Cliff Reid|
|Screenplay by||John Twist|
Garson Kanin (uncredited)
|Based on||"The Great Man Votes" (short story) by Gordon Malherbe Hillman|
|Music by||Roy Webb|
|Edited by||Jack Hively|
|Distributed by||RKO Radio Pictures|
Ivy League scholar Gregory Vance descends into an alcoholic abyss after the death of his wife. He ends up barely able to hold a job, and a night watchman's job at that.
Vance's two children, Joan and Donald, are exceptionally intelligent and benefit from his tutoring. But they are bullied at school by other students and their father risks losing custody of them if he cannot change his ways. New teacher Agnes Billow is able to help Vance become more like the man he used to be, particularly after a political bigwig tempts him ethically with a bribe of a better job in exchange for Vance's vote.
- John Barrymore as Gregory Vance
- Peter Holden as Donald Ainslee Vance
- Virginia Weidler as Joan Vance
- Katherine Alexander as Agnes Billow
- Donald McBride as Iron Hat McCarthy
- Benny Bartlett as Davy McCarthy
- Brandon Tynan as Chester Ainslee
- Elisabeth Risdon as Phoebe Ainslee
- Granville Bates as the Mayor
- Luis Alberni as Manos
- J. M. Kerrigan as Hot Shot Gillings
- William Demarest as Charles Dale
- Wayne and Warren Hull as Twins Running Alongside Car
The film recorded a loss of $10,000.
- Richard Jewel, 'RKO Film Grosses: 1931–1951', Historical Journal of Film Radio and Television, Vol 14 No 1, 1994 p57
- "The Great Man Votes (1939): Screenplay Info". TCM Movie Database. Turner Classic Movies.
- Dargis, Manohla (August 1, 2008). "Hey, America, This Guy's for You (Movie Review 'Swing Vote')". The New York Times.
- The Great Man Votes at the TCM Movie Database
- The Great Man Votes at AllMovie
- The Great Man Votes on IMDb
|This 1930s drama film-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|