The Great Indian Laughter Challenge
The Great Indian Laughter Challenge is an Indian reality stand-up comedy series produced by Endemol India. The first four seasons aired on STAR One from 15 June 2005 to 26 September 2008. The show's fifth season started premiered on 30 September 2017 on STAR Plus and was judged by Akshay Kumar.
|The Great Indian Laughter Challenge|
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of seasons||5|
|No. of episodes||193|
|Running time||approximately 48 minutes|
|Original network||STAR One (season 1–4)|
STAR Plus (season 5)
|Original release||3 June 2005 –|
|Related shows||Laughter Knights|
The show is based on a format where stand-up comedians perform and entertain judges and the studio audience with their comedy skills. The first three seasons of the show saw Shekhar Suman, an eminent TV personality and Navjot Singh Sidhu, former cricketer and current cricket commentator and politician." The show's initial episodes were hosted by Parizaad Kolah Marshall and later she was replaced by Shonali Nagrani. The fifth season is being hosted by Elli AvrRam. The set was designed by noted Bollywood production designer Nitin Chandrakant Desai. In the fourth season Shatrughan Sinha replaced Shekhar Suman as judge.
In the first season, Sunil Pal was the winner, Ahsaan Qureshi was runner up and Raju Srivastava was second runner up. In the second season contestants from Pakistan were present and the winner Rauf Lala was from Pakistan. The third season was won by Kapil Sharma and the first runner up was Chandan Prabhakar both from Amritsar. Many other talented comedians like Siraj Khan, Sudesh Lehari, Rajiv Thakur, Bharti Singh, Navin Prabhakar, Jassi Kochar, Khayaali, Dipoo Srivastava, Ahsaan Qureshi have appeared in the show.
The first two seasons were followed by another show, The Great Indian Laughter Champions, which included top performers of the previous shows. Here also the judges were Sidhu and Shekar including some celebrity guests as well.
Recently the first woman to participate was Aarti Kandpal. The fourth season's finalists were Rasbihari Gaur, Bharti Singh, Suresh Albela, and a duo from Pakistan. The winner for the fourth season after a tough laughter war was Suresh Albela.
- Rauf Lala (Winner)
- Rajeev Nigam (Runner-up)
- Pratap Faujdar
- Irfan Malik and Ali Hassan
- Dr. Tushar Shah
- Rajkumar Javkar
- Saransh Bhardwaj (as a guest appearance)
- Gaurav Jha
Season V - 2017Edit
- Abhishek Waliya (Winner)
- Nitesh Shetty (Runner up)
- Vignesh Panda
- Parvindar Singh
- Vishwash Chauhan
- Shyam Rangeela
- Muhammad Anas
- Abhay Kumar
- Naman Jain
- Sumit Sourav
- Shikha Singh
- Vidushi Swaroop
- Ajay Singh Chauhan
- Gaurav Gupta
- "Star One's The Great Indian Laughter Challenge Dwitiya clocks the highest ever ratings". 8 July 2006. Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- "The great Indian Laughter Challenge 3". 16 May 2007. Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- "The Great Indian Laughter Challenge 4 airs every Friday & Saturday on Star One". Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- "Akshay Kumar to judge The Great Indian Laughter Challenge; releases the teaser". Retrieved 2 July 2017.
- "Charge of the laugh brigade judging the show". The Telegraph. 21 November 2005. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- Javed Jaffrey’s spoof on budget desires Screen (magazine), Chaya Unnikrishnan. 3 March 2006.