The Ghost Breaker (1914 film)
The Ghost Breaker was a 1914 American silent drama film directed by Cecil B. DeMille and Oscar C. Apfel and based on the Broadway play of the same name by Paul Dickey and Charles W. Goddard. The film was distributed by Paramount Pictures under the Famous Players-Lasky banner.
|The Ghost Breaker|
Scene from the film.
|Directed by||Cecil B. DeMille|
Oscar C. Apfel
|Produced by||Cecil B. DeMille|
Jesse L. Lasky
|Written by||Cecil B. DeMille|
Oscar C. Apfel
Charles W. Goddard
|Based on||The Ghost Breaker|
by Paul Dickey and Charles W. Goddard
|Starring||H. B. Warner|
|Distributed by||Famous Players-Lasky|
The Ghost Breaker was possibly the first film in a long line of haunted-house horror films with the same story. A 1922 remake of the same name starred Wallace Reid and Lila Lee. The original film was also remade as The Ghost Breakers (1940) with Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard, and as Scared Stiff (1953) with Martin and Lewis. The film is now considered lost.
- H. B. Warner as Warren Jarvis
- Rita Stanwood as Princess Maria Theresa
- Theodore Roberts as Prince of Aragon
- Betty Johnson as Carmen
- Jode Mullally as Don Luis
- Horace B. Carpenter as Carlos, Duke D'Alva
- Jeanne McPherson as Juanita, Carmen's rival
- Mabel Van Buren as Delores
- William Elmer as Robledo
- Richard L'Estrange as Maximo, the ghost (as Dick La Strange)
- Fred Montague as Gaspart, the ghost
- Lucien Littlefield as Judge Jarvis
- John Burton as Rusty (as J.W. Burton)
- Jack W. Johnston as Markam (as J.W. Johnson)
- The Ghost Breaker at silentera.com
- Kabatchnik, Amnon (2011). Blood On the Stage, 1950-1975: Milestone Plays of Crime, Mystery and Detection. Scarecrow Press. p. 306. ISBN 0-810-87784-8.
- Soister, John T. (2012). American Silent Horror, Science Fiction and Fantasy Feature Films, 1913-1929. McFarland. p. 219. ISBN 0-786-48790-9.
- Amusements. Wairarapa Daily Times. Volume LXX. Issue 14474. January 7, 1916. p 3. Retrieved June 13, 2016