The Gene Autry Show
The Gene Autry Show is an American western/cowboy television series which aired for 91 episodes on CBS from July 23, 1950 until August 7, 1956, originally sponsored by Wrigley's Doublemint chewing gum.
|The Gene Autry Show|
|Also known as||Melody Ranch|
|Directed by||George Archainbaud|
D. Ross Lederman
|Theme music composer||Gene Autry|
|Opening theme||"Back in the Saddle Again"|
|Ending theme||"Back in the Saddle Again"|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||5|
|No. of episodes||91|
|Running time||25 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Flying 'A' Productions|
|Distributor||CBS Television Film Sales|
|Original release||July 23, 1950 –|
August 7, 1956
|Related shows||The Adventures of Champion|
Gene Autry's Melody Ranch
Buffalo Bill, Jr.
Series star Gene Autry had already established his singing cowboy character on radio and the movies. Now he and his horse Champion were featured in a weekly television series of western adventures. Gene's role changed almost weekly from rancher, to ranch hand, to sheriff, to border agent, etc. Gene's usual comic relief and sidekick, Pat, was played by Pat Buttram. During the first season, Gene's sidekick was played by Chill Wills twice (as Chill) and by Fuzzy Knight four times (as Sagebrush). Alan Hale, Jr. played a bad guy in several episodes of Seasons 1 and 2, but he also played Gene's sidekick, Tiny, in two episodes of Season 1.
By this time, Autry had established his own production company, Flying 'A' Productions, and acted as executive director for the series.
The series lasted five seasons. The first four were in black and white, and the final season (thirteen episodes) was in color. Color was experimented with in two episodes of the first season. The theme song Back In the Saddle Again was written by Autry and Ray Whitley and sung by Autry.
Ewing Mitchell appeared seven times on The Gene Autry Show and seven times as well on The Adventures of Champion in the latter as Sheriff Powers.
On December 10, 2013, Timeless Media released The Gene Autry Show- The Complete series.
|DVD Name||Ep #||Release Date|
|The Complete First Season||26||June 7, 2011|
|The Complete Second Season||26||November 22, 2011|
|The Complete Third and Fourth Seasons||26||April 10, 2012|
|The Complete Fifth Season||13||May 21, 2013|
|The Complete Series||91||December 10, 2013|
- Woolery, George W. (1985). Children's Television: The First Thirty-Five Years, 1946-1981, Part II: Live, Film, and Tape Series. The Scarecrow Press. pp. 189–192. ISBN 0-8108-1651-2.
- Brooks, Tim; Marsh, Earle F. (2009). The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows, 1946-Present. Random House Publishing Group. p. 521. ISBN 9780307483201. Retrieved 3 December 2016.
- "Dickie Jones". Internet Movie Data Base. Retrieved August 8, 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-04-16. Retrieved 2011-05-06.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-02-18. Retrieved 2011-10-21.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-02-02. Retrieved 2012-02-01.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-02-16. Retrieved 2013-03-01.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2013-09-11.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)