The Everlasting Secret Family
The Everlasting Secret Family is a 1988 Australian film directed by Michael Thornhill about a secret society of gay men.
|The Everlasting Secret Family|
|Directed by||Michael Thornhill|
|Produced by||Michael Thornhill|
Antony I. Ginnane
|Written by||Frank Moorhouse|
|Based on||stories by Frank Moorhouse|
|Music by||Tony Bremner|
|Edited by||Pam Barnetta|
Hemdale Film Corporation
International Film Management
|Box office||$280,000 (Australia)|
A fictional group (acting similar to Freemasons) of middle-aged homosexual men (including a senator) hold influence and power over young school boys from the fictional Saint Michael's Private School for Boys. The film follows one of these boys (called only 'Youth'), as he rises through the ranks of the secret society.
- Mark Lee as Youth
- Drew Norman as Oil Boy
- Dennis Miller as Eric, the Chauffeur
- Arthur Dignam as Senator
- Alan Carey as Doctor at Oval
- Ken Keen as Headmaster
- Marcus Cornelius as Teacher at Oval
- Heather Mitchell as Wife
- Michael Winchester as School Teacher
- Louis Nowra as Shop Assistant
- Dominic Barry as Bell Captain
- Paul Davies as Waiter #1
- Allan Penney as Gardener
- Victor Ramon as Maitre'd #1
- Michael Kozuki as Mr. Akutangana
- Anna Volska as Wife's Friend
- Paul Goddard as Son
Janet Maslin of The New York Times in 1989, thought that the film was divided into two halves, the first engrossing and the second ridiculous....The action becomes farfetched, the actors hopelessly unconvincing, and everyone ages so badly - thanks to too much eyebrow pencil and talcum powder - that the film winds up looking like a high school play.
RS reviewing for Timeout stated that All the gay characters are 'elderly pervert' stereotypes, cruel, calculating and vampirish. Yet, for a film that takes so rigidly homophobic a stance, an awful lot of time is spent dwelling on youthful tanned muscles and taut buttocks.
- "The Everlasting Secret Family (1987)". bfi.org.uk. Retrieved 12 August 2018.
- Maslin, Janet (1989). "Reviews/Film; An Australian Tale of Sex And the Power It Confers". NYTimes. Retrieved 12 August 2018.
- HEMDALE HOLDS OUT ON PRE-SALE PAYMENTS TO IFM By MARK LAWSON Australian Financial Review 29 March 1988 p 34
- David Stratton, The Avocado Plantation: Boom and Bust in the Australian Film Industry, Pan MacMillan, 1990 p163
- GOLDFARB RENEGES ON PRE-SALE DEBT By MARK LAWSON Australian Financial Review 28 April 1988 p 36
- Michael Ferguson and Michael S. Ferguson Idol Worship: A Shameless Celebration of Male Beauty in the Movies, p. 215, at Google Books
- Neal Drinnan (editor) The Rough Guide to Gay & Lesbian Australia, p. 310, at Google Books
- "The Everlasting Secret Family Film". timeout.com. Retrieved 12 August 2018.
- The Everlasting Secret Family on IMDb
- The Everlasting Secret Family at Oz Movies
- Review at New York Times
|This article related to an Australian film of the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a film with a lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender theme is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|