The Era (dance crew)
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (November 2015)
The Era is a Chicago-based footwork dance crew. Dancers from the group have performed at London's Barbican, the Pitchfork Festival in Chicago, and South by Southwest. The group also teaches footwork at High Concept Laboratories, where they have an incubation studio space.
The group was founded on the South Side of Chicago. Members Litebulb, Steelo, Dempsey, and Chief Manny (along with DJ Jody Breeze a.k.a. JodyDigital) met as members of the Chicago battle crew Terra Squad. Litebulb and P-Top met on the set of the film Manglehorn.
In 2015, Litebulb received the Chicago Dancemakers Forum Award. In 2015, members Litebulb and Glasspiegel received the Crossing Boundaries award from the University of Chicago. They expressed plans to use the prize to develop an educational project on the history of footwork. In 2016, the group performed their debut stage performance, In the Wurkz, featuring new choreography, music videos and performance by The Era.
- "DJ Spinn's Full Pitchfork Music Festival Set Now Available". Pitchfork. Pitchfork. Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- "SXSW Schedule: The ERA Footwork Crew". South by Southwest.
- "Living at 160: Footwork Dance". High Concept Laboratories. Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- "Black Dance Matters: A Documentary on Chicago Footwork Collective The Era". Thump. Vice. Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- "2015 Chicago Dancemakers Forum Lab Artists Announced". Chicago Dancemakers Forum. Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- "2015/2016 Crossing Boundaries Artists". University of Chicago. Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- Tribune, Chicago. "The Era takes footworking a step further in 'In the Wurkz'". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 2016-10-12.