The English Teacher (film)
The English Teacher is a 2013 American romantic comedy film directed by Craig Zisk. The film stars Julianne Moore, Michael Angarano, Greg Kinnear, Lily Collins and Nathan Lane, and was written by Dan and Stacy Chariton.
|The English Teacher|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Craig Zisk|
|Produced by||Matthew E. Chausse
|Written by||Dan Chariton
|Music by||Rob Simonsen|
|Edited by||Myron I. Kerstein|
|Distributed by||Cinedigm Entertainment
This article needs an improved plot summary. (November 2015)
Linda Sinclair (Moore) is a high school English teacher in the small town of Kingston, Pennsylvania. She is passionate about her subject and popular with her students, but lives alone in a simple existence. When her former pupil Jason Sherwood (Angarano) returns after failing to succeed as a playwright, Linda convinces him to produce his play at the school. Jason's overbearing father, Dr. Tom Sherwood (Kinnear), pressures him to attend law school instead. Complications arise after Linda and Jason sleep together, which affects her and everyone around her including the play.
- Julianne Moore as Linda Sinclair
- Michael Angarano as Jason Sherwood
- Greg Kinnear as Dr. Tom Sherwood
- Lily Collins as Halle Anderson
- Nathan Lane as Carl Kapinas, the school drama teacher
- Jessica Hecht as Principal Trudie Slocum
- Norbert Leo Butz as Vice-Principal Phil Pelaski
- Nikki Blonsky as Sheila Nussbaum
- Erin Wilhelmi as Joni Gerber
- Alan Aisenberg as Benjamin Meyer
- Sophie Curtis as Fallon Hughes
- Fiona Shaw (voice only) as Narrator
The English Teacher was first announced in September 2011. It was Zisk's feature film directorial debut, following his work on several television shows including Weeds, The Big C, Scrubs and The United States of Tara.
Release and receptionEdit
The film had its world premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival on April 26, 2013, followed by a US theatrical release on May 17. It was released in 7 theaters, and earned $104,810 domestically at the box office, and $61,949 in foreign countries, for a worldwide gross of $166,759. The film also had a video on demand release.
- "The English Teacher (2013)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved August 20, 2013.
- "The English Teacher (2013) – International". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- Scott Foundas (May 13, 2013). "Film Review: ‘The English Teacher’". Variety. Retrieved June 14, 2013.
- "First Images from THE ENGLISH TEACHER Starring Julianne Moore, Greg Kinnear, Lily Collins, and Michael Angarano". Collider. March 12, 2013. Retrieved March 15, 2013.
- "Julianne Moore's 'The English Teacher' Acquired by Cinedigm and Tribeca Film". The Hollywood Reporter. 12 February 2013. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- "Julianne Moore, Greg Kinnear To Star In 'The English Teacher'". IndieWire. 9 September 2011. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- "Tribeca Film Festival announces new Richard Linklater, David Gordon Green films for line-up". Entertainment Weekly. March 6, 2013. Retrieved March 15, 2013.
- "Cinedigm & Tribeca Film Team Up To Distribute Julianne Moore and Nathan Lane Starring 'The English Teacher'". IndieWire. 12 February 2013. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- "Julianne Moore, Michael Angarano in 'The English Teacher' - trailer". Digital Spy. April 4, 2013. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- "The English Teacher". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved August 20, 2013.