The Empty Family
First edition cover
|Genre||Short Story Collection|
|1 October 2010|
|Media type||Print (hardcover)|
|Pages||288 pp (hardback)|
Reviews were generally positive. Bryan Lynch wrote in the Irish Independent that the "stories are always intensely interesting and sometimes profoundly provocative", noting that the sexually frank depictions required great courage. Keith Miller in The Daily Telegraph described the book as an "exquisite and almost excruciating collection". The Irish Times journalist Heather Ingman noted that most of Tóibín's familiar themes are present but with the addition of a "hard-won wisdom", giving rich rewards to the reader. Many reviewers commented on the fact that Tóibín's prose has become ever more spare and refined, with Ingman inviting readers "to read slowly and savour the silences between the words".
- The Empty Family Stories | Colm Tóibín Official Website
- Cullen, Conor. "Tóibín in line for major prize" Archived 4 October 2011 at the Wayback Machine. Enniscorthy Guardian. 12 July 2011.
- Walsh, Caroline. "Two Irish authors make awards shortlist". The Irish Times. 9 July 2011.
- Flood, Alison. "Strong showing for Irish writers on Frank O'Connor shortlist". The Guardian. 9 July 2011.
- Review: The Empty Family by Colm Toibin - Books, Entertainment - Independent.ie
- The Empty Family by Colm Tóibín: review - Telegraph
- The Irish Times - Sat, Sep 25, 2010 - Colm Tóibín's hard-won wisdom