The Dream Academy (album)
The Dream Academy is the debut studio album by English band the Dream Academy, released in November 1985. It was produced by Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour and Nick Laird-Clowes. "Life in a Northern Town", written as a tribute to the musician Nick Drake, became the Dreamy Academy's only major chart success, reaching number 7 on the US Billboard Hot 100 and number 15 in the UK.
|The Dream Academy|
|Studio album by|
|Genre||Rock, dream pop|
|Label||Warner Bros., Blanco y Negro|
|The Dream Academy chronology|
|Singles from The Dream Academy|
The follow-up single from the album, "The Love Parade", was not received as well as their debut single, reaching number 36 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and only number 68 on the UK chart, but still received solid radio airplay.
Also of note is the song "The Edge of Forever", which plays in a prominent scene during the John Hughes film Ferris Bueller's Day Off, resulting in many fans of 1980s films becoming more familiar with the Dream Academy's music.
The Dream Academy went on to chart at number twenty on the US Billboard 200 in the US.
|1.||"Life in a Northern Town"||Laird-Clowes, Gabriel||Gilmour, Laird-Clowes, Nicholson||4:19|
|2.||"The Edge of Forever"||Laird-Clowes, Gabriel||Gilmour, Laird-Clowes, Langan||4:23|
|3.||"(Johnny) New Light"||Laird-Clowes, Gabriel||Gilmour, Laird-Clowes, Nicholson||4:23|
|4.||"In Places on the Run"||Laird-Clowes, Gabriel||Gilmour, Laird-Clowes, Nicholson||4:27|
|5.||"This World"||Laird-Clowes, Gabriel||Gilmour, Laird-Clowes, Nicholson||5:07|
|6.||"Bound to Be"||Laird-Clowes, Gabriel||Gilmour, Laird-Clowes, Langan||3:08|
|7.||"Moving On"||Laird-Clowes, Gabriel||Gilmour, Laird-Clowes, Nicholson||5:14|
|8.||"The Love Parade"||Laird-Clowes, Gabriel||Tarney||3:47|
|9.||"The Party"||Laird-Clowes||Gilmour, Laird-Clowes||5:07|
|10.||"One Dream"||Laird-Clowes||Gilmour, Laird-Clowes||2:32|
|US Billboard 200||20|
|UK Album Charts Official Charts Company||58|
- "This World" was written about Nick's concerns about his friends becoming junkies.
- "Life in a Northern Town" and "The Love Parade" have two different video versions.
- "The Party" contains parts of "Life in a Northern Town" and "The Edge of Forever" at the end of the song.
- Warners released a 4 video compilation from this album, including videos for "Life in a Northern Town" (2nd version), "The Love Parade" (U.S. radio version), "This World" (filmed in New York City), and "Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want".
- VH-1 featured the video for the song in an episode of Pop Up Video in 1999.
- "Life in a Northern Town" was featured in an episode of King of the Hill.
The Dream Academy
- Gilbert Gabriel - keyboards, vocals
- Nick Laird-Clowes - guitars, harmonica, vocals
- Kate St. John - piano, tenor saxophone, oboe, cor anglais, accordion, piano-accordion
- Gary Barnacle - tenor saxophone
- Dave DeFries - trumpet
- Peter Buck - guitars
- David Gilmour - guitars on "Bound to Be" & "The Party"
- Greg Dechert - Hammond organ
- Mickey Feat, Pino Palladino, Guy Pratt - bass
- Chucho Merchan - double bass
- Tony Beard, Bosco DeOliveira, Luís Jardim, Ben Hoffnung, Jake LeMesurier, Dave Mattacks - drums, various percussion
- Tom Demalon. "The Dream Academy - The Dream Academy | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-05-22.
- The Dream Academy - The Dream Academy at Sputnikmusic
- Apprentice to the stars. The Independent, 26 March 1999
- Billboard 200 - The Dream Academy - The Dream Academy
- Official Charts Company - The Dream Academy - The Dream Academy