The Dapper Dans
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Dapper Dans are a barbershop quartet that performs at Disneyland in Anaheim, California (since 1959), at the Magic Kingdom at the Walt Disney World Resort (since 1971), and at Hong Kong Disneyland in Lantau Island, Hong Kong (from 2005 to 2008). A quartet (from the UK) also performed at Disneyland Paris from the opening in 1992 until 1995 and were known as The Main Street Quartet.
While the group usually performs as a quartet, they actually have up to twelve singers at each park, plus occasional substitutes. This allows them to have multiple quartets performing separately or to combine and form a larger ensemble. Membership has changed over the years as various singers have retired or died and new ones have been brought in to succeed them. Several of the Dapper Dans are members of the Barbershop Harmony Society.
At the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World, the Dapper Dans perform 9 sets a day, 7 days a week. They can be found on the horse-drawn trolley in the morning, and all over Main Street USA during the afternoon, where visitors can be serenaded by the Dans while having their hair cut in a real, working barbershop. At 5pm, the Dans join the Main Street Philharmonic and the Magic Kingdom Security Color Guard for the Flag Retreat Ceremony.
The Dans at Disneyland can be seen on their Schwinn custom four-seater bicycle (commissioned by Walt Disney himself) and in various locations around Main Street. The Dans at Hong Kong Disneyland stroll up and down Main Street from Town Square.
Another unique part of Dapper Dans lore is the fact that they use Deagan Organ Chimes as part of the act. Each of the eight chimes has three octaves of a single note, comprising a C scale. The Organ Chimes were made by the J.C. Deagan Company in Chicago, Illinois, around 1901.
The Dapper Dans have seen many renowned members since their creation in 1959. Barbershop Harmony Society international gold medalists Roger Ross and Kevin Miles have sung with the Dapper Dans as well as four-time gold medalist, Tony DeRosa. Members of the Dapper Dans also include the Barbershop Harmony Society international collegiate quartet gold medalists, Aaron Stratton, Paul Hesson, Chad Bennett, film and TV actor-comedian Monty Jordan, Grammy Award winning Audio Engineer  Tom Knox and Eric Monson. The original Hong Kong Disneyland Dapper Dans consisted of the Hong Kong a cappella group Metro Vocal Group.
- The Bell Telephone Hour, airdate February 17, 1961. (Roger Axworthy, T.J. Marker, Ted Nichols, John Borneman).
- Mickie Finn's, 7 episodes in 1969 (NBC). (Jim Schamp, Ron Browne, Fred Frank, Tom Knox. Monty Jordan).
- Tony Orlando and Dawn, airdate January 7, 1976 (CBS). (Doug Scott, John Sherburn, Jerry Siggins, and Tony Orlando subbing for Creighton Hogan).
- The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, May 16, 1974 (NBC). (Creighton Hogan, Doug Scott, John Sherburn, Jerry Siggins).
- Children's Miracle Network Telethon, airdate May 31, 1986 (KHJ-TV, Channel 9 (KCAL-TV), Los Angeles). (Ron Browne, Shelby Grimm, Jim Schamp, Jerry Siggins).
- Blossom episode titled "Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men", airdate February 8, 1993 (NBC) (Jim Campbell, Shelby Grimm, Mike Economou, Dan Jordan).
- The Simpsons episode titled "Homer's Barbershop Quartet", airdate September 30, 1993 (1st episode of Season 5), as the singing voices of 'The Be Sharps'. (Jim "James" Campbell, Mike "George" Economou, Shelby Grimm, Dan "Don" Jordan).
- Home Improvement episode titled "Adios", airdate September 29, 1998 (ABC) as 'The Flannels'. (Jim Campbell, Shelby Grimm, Bill Lewis, Tim Reeder).
- The Haunted Mansion, released in November 2003, as 'The Singing Busts'. (Disney) (Jim Campbell, Shelby Grimm, Bob Hartley, Bill Lewis, Tim Reeder).
- Modern Family episode titled "Disneyland", airdate May 9, 2012 (22nd episode of Season 3), ABC, as the "Dapper Dans". (Frank Romeo, Eulis Kay, Nathan Shrake, and the recurring character Dylan played by Reid Ewing).
- Danish International Advent Calendar 57th edition by Danish multimedia artist Peter Wendelboe. He has created his multimedia Advent Calendar since 1960 and at the internet since 1995. Each year with a new theme. The Dapper Dans will show up in episode 23 at the 2017 calendar on December 23, 2017.