The Daily Astorian
The Astorian is a newspaper, published in Astoria, Oregon, United States, established nearly 147 years ago in 1873, and in publication continuously since then. The paper serves the Astoria, Warrenton, Seaside area, the Long Beach Peninsula, and surrounding areas. The newspaper is published Monday through Friday and has a circulation of approximately 8,400. It is owned by EO Media Group (formerly known as the East Oregonian Publishing Company), of Pendleton, Oregon.
Front page from August 10, 2016
|Type||Newspaper published on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday|
|Owner(s)||EO Media Group (formerly known as the East Oregonian Publishing Company)|
|Headquarters||949 Exchange St.|
Astoria, OR 97103
The paper began publication on July 1, 1873, as the Tri-Weekly Astorian. The name was changed to The Daily Astorian on May 1, 1876, when publication became daily except Sundays. The paper's name has been altered several times since, becoming The Daily Morning Astorian in 1883, the Morning Astorian in 1899, the Evening Astorian-Budget – after the Morning Astorian and the 1893-founded Astoria Evening Budget merged – in 1930, and The Daily Astorian in 1960. In 2019, it switched to publishing three times a week and is now known as 'The Astorian', dropping 'Daily' from its name.
Its original publisher, DeWitt Clinton Ireland, sold the paper in 1880, and the publication has seen several changes of ownership since. The East Oregonian Publishing Company became the newspaper's owner in 1973, when that company merged with the Astorian-Budget Publishing Company. The purchase continued a connection between the East Oregonian, based some 300 miles (480 kilometres) to the east in Pendleton, Oregon, that had been established in 1909, when a group of East Oregonian staffers purchased the Astoria Budget. That company changed its name to EO Media Group in January 2013.
A new printing press was brought into use in February 2010, replacing one that had lasted since 1970. The new press was secondhand, from the Chicago Sun-Times, but was only five years old when acquired by the Astorian.
- Newspapers Published in Oregon Oregon Blue Book. Retrieved July 22, 2012.
- "Oregon Newspaper Publishers Century Roster" (PDF). Oregon Publisher. The Oregon Newspaper Publishers Association. June 2012. p. 7. Archived from the original (PDF) on June 19, 2012. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- About Archived 2012-07-23 at the Wayback Machine The Daily Astorian. Retrieved July 22, 2012.
- "About the Daily Astorian". Chronicling America. Library of Congress. Retrieved July 22, 2012.
- The Daily Astorian Archived 2013-04-14 at Archive.today (overview). East Oregonian Publishing Company. Retrieved July 22, 2012.
- Turnbull, George S. (1939). Binfords & Mort. . .
- "EO History". East Oregonian. Archived from the original on August 17, 2014. Retrieved March 19, 2013.
- "The Daily Astorian acquires a new press" (PDF). Oregon Publisher. The Oregon Newspaper Publishers Association. May 2010. pp. 6–7. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 1, 2011. Retrieved November 25, 2014.