The Dai-ichi Life Insurance Company, Limited (第一生命保険株式会社, Dai-ichi Seimei Hoken Kabushiki-kaisha), or Dai-ichi Life for short, is the third-largest life insurer in Japan by revenue, behind Japan Post Insurance and Nippon Life.
|Traded as||TYO: 8750|
TOPIX Large 70 Component
(Dai-ichi Life Holdings)
|Founded||September 15, 1902 (as mutual company); April 1, 2010 (as stock company)|
|Revenue||5.28 trillion yen (FY 2013)|
|32.4 billion yen (FY 2013)|
|Total assets||$346.9 billion (2015)|
|Total equity||1.64 trillion yen (March 2013)|
Number of employees
|Parent||Dai-ichi Life Holdings, Inc.|
Founded on September 15, 1902, Dai-Ichi was one of the oldest mutual insurance companies in Japan until a motion to demutualise was passed in 2009 and, on April 1, 2010, it listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, raising 1.01 trillion yen. As of March 2013, it had the most assets of any listed company in Japan with a total of 33 trillion yen on its stand-alone balance sheet, more than twice the total assets of #2-ranked Tokyo Electric Power Company.
It is also the largest single shareholder of the Tokyu Corporation, holding 6.35% of all issued stock.
As of March 30, 2006
- Total assets - US$276,552 million
- Policy reserves - US$227,524 million
- Total capital - US$21,425 million
- Solvency margin ratio - 1,095.5%
- Policies in force - US$2,085 billion
- Policyholders - 8,646,469
- 1902 - Founded
- 1938 - head office is moved to its current Yurakucho, Tokyo location.
- 1975 - first overseas representative office is established in New York City.
- 1982 - first European representative office is established in London.
- 1990 - investment in Lincoln National Life Insurance Company marked the first time a Japanese company participated in capitalizing a leading U.S. insurer.
- 1993 - completion of the DN Tower 21, a new head office building.
- 1995 - Great Hanshin earthquake: simplification of claims settlement procedures.
- 1996 - establishment of the Dai-ichi Property and Casualty Insurance Co., Ltd.
- 1997 - establishment of Dai-ichi Life Research Institute Inc.
- 1999 - agreement on total business cooperation with the Industrial Bank of Japan (now Mizuho Financial Group.)
- 2000 - agreement to form a comprehensive business alliance with Sompo Japan Insurance and Aflac.
- 2002 - celebration of its 100th Anniversary.
- 2010 - Demutualization and stock listing on the Tokyo Stock Exchange
- 2011 - completes take over of ASX listed Tower Australia life insurance company, the wholly owned subsidiary is then renamed TAL
- 2015 - purchased Protective Life Corporation
- "The World's Biggest Public Companies". forbes.com. Retrieved 10 April 2018.
- "総資産デイリーランキング-全市場：株式ランキング - Yahoo!ファイナンス". yahoo.co.jp. Retrieved 10 April 2018.
- Dai-ichi Life to raise $1 billion via subordinated bond issue. Reuters, 14 October 2014
- "Protective Announces Completion of Acquisition By Dai-ichi Life". Protective. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- The Dai-ichi Mutual Life Insurance Company (in Japanese)
- The Dai-ichi Mutual Life Insurance Company Annual Report (in English)