The Confirmation is a 2016 Canadian drama film starring Clive Owen, Jaeden Martell, and Maria Bello. Written and directed in his directorial debut by Bob Nelson, who also produced it with Todd Hoffman, the film concerns a young boy (Martell), who tries to reconnect with his divorced father (Owen). The film also co-stars Robert Forster, Tim Blake Nelson, Patton Oswalt, and Matthew Modine. It marked the first time Nelson had ever directed a film. The Confirmation received a limited release in selected theaters in the United States and on iTunes on March 18, 2016.
|Directed by||Bob Nelson|
|Produced by||Bob Nelson|
|Screenplay by||Bob Nelson|
Tim Blake Nelson
|Music by||Jeff Cardoni|
|Edited by||Steven Rasch|
Bungalow Media + Entertainment
Sapphire Fire Limited
|Distributed by||Great Point Media|
Walt, a divorced father and his eight-year-old son, Anthony, are about to spend a somewhat predictable weekend together, nevertheless, when a valuable toolbox gets stolen, the search for the thieves will soon turn into a true family bonding.
- Clive Owen as Walt
- Jaeden Martell as Anthony
- Maria Bello as Bonnie
- Robert Forster as Otto
- Tim Blake Nelson as Vaughn
- Patton Oswalt as Drake
- Matthew Modine as Kyle
- Stephen Tobolowsky as Father Lyons
- Spencer Drever as Allen
- Michael Eklund as Tucker
- Ryan Robbins as Trout
- Garry Chalk as Pete
- Jennifer Copping as Roger's Wife
- Patrick Gilmore as Roger
- Catherine Lough Haggquist as Officer Sue
- Luvia Petersen as Bartender Nancy
Screenwriter Bob Nelson, who had previously worked on penning the screenplay for Nebraska (2013) directed by Alexander Payne, first mentioned the project in an interview with Wall Street Journal in February 2014, where he stated that he had completed the screenplay for the film. Principal photography commenced on November 11, 2014 in Vancouver, British Columbia.
On November 18, 2014, it was announced that Clive Owen, Jaeden Lieberher and Maria Bello were cast in the film, along with Robert Forster, Tim Blake Nelson, Patton Oswalt and Matthew Modine. In September 2015, studio company Saban Films revealed that they had secured the distribution rights for a North American release.
Nelson says "I thought it would be funny if you took a boy who was really good and doesn't really sin and have him break pretty much every commandment in a day. That kind of gave me a basis to start, too, when I was filling out the notebook."
The scene where Anthony keeps his father from getting alcohol is based on Bob Nelson's own experience.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 91% based on 32 reviews, with an average rating of 6.7/10. On Metacritic, the film holds a score of 65 out of 100, based on 11 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- "The Confirmation". Fandango. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
- Armitage, Hugh (November 19, 2014). "Clive Owen and Maria Bello join Bob Nelson's The Confirmation". Digital Spy. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
- Ford, Rebecca (September 12, 2015). "TIFF: Saban nabs 'The Confirmation' starring Clive Owen (exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
- Robinson, Will (January 27, 2016). "Clive Owen, Patton Oswalt star in The Confirmation trailer". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
- "The Confirmation" (PDF). Lionsgate. pp. 7, 8, 9, 12, 13, 14. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
- Steinberg, Don (February 6, 2014). "Bob Nelson's first movie script was 'Nebraska'". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
- "Bob Nelson, Academy Award-nominated writer of Nebraska, makes his directorial debut with the Confirmation, based on his original script, starring Clive Owen". The Business Journals. PR Newswire. November 20, 2014. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
- "Current film list from Creative BC November 2, 2014". Filming Vancouver. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
- Fleming Jr., Mike (November 18, 2014). "Clive Owen, Jaeden Lieberher and Maria Bello join 'Confirmation' movie". Deadline.com. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
- "Bob Nelson on The Confirmation", Creative Screenwriting, 10 May 2016
- MacDonald, Moira (January 27, 2016). "Watch the trailer: New film from Bob Nelson, Oscar-nominated for 'Nebraska'". The Seattle Times. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
- "The Confirmation (2016)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved March 29, 2018.
- "The Confirmation Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved March 29, 2018.