The Citadel of Chaos
The Citadel of Chaos is a single-player adventure gamebook written by Steve Jackson and illustrated by Russ Nicholson. Originally published by Puffin Books in 1983, the title is the second gamebook in the Fighting Fantasy series. It was later republished by Wizard Books in 2002. The gamebook was also adapted into a video game.
Cover of the first edition
|Illustrator||Russ Nicholson and Malcolm Barter|
Location: Allansia, Titan
|Media type||Print (Paperback)|
ISBN 1-84046-389-9 (Wizard)
|Preceded by||The Warlock of Firetop Mountain|
|Followed by||The Forest of Doom|
The player takes the role of an adventurer magician on a quest to find and stop the powerful wizard Balthus Dire. To confront Dire, the player must navigate the Citadel, avoiding monsters and collecting several artefacts that will allow passage past guardians to the villain's inner sanctum.
Marcus L. Rowland reviewed The Citadel of Chaos for the June 1983 issue of White Dwarf, rating the title a 9 out of a possible 10. Rowland called The Citadel of Chaos "an exciting adventure", and noted that the book's introduction of magic as an extra characteristic "adds a new range of decisions to encounters".
Karen L. Miller, staff writer at Reading Eagle, stated that the title featured "an elaborate combat system with adventure score sheets. This way you read and at the same time...conquer the dreaded sorcerer at the heart of The Citadel of Chaos".
In other mediaEdit
In 2018, the audio company FoxYason Music Productions, known for their work with Big Finish Productions announced that they would be releasing an original, full-cast audio drama based on The Citadel of Chaos in a CD boxset with The Forest of Doom, Deathtrap Dungeon, and Creature of Havoc for summer 2018. It will be written by David N. Smith, directed by Richard Fox and will feature Rachel Atkins returning to the role of Vale Moonwing from FoxYason Music's first release based on The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, sub-titled The Hero's Quest.
- Rowland, Marcus (June 1983). "Open Box". White Dwarf. Games Workshop (42): 16.
- Miller, Karen L. (January 8, 1984). "Fantasy game books spark reading". Reading Eagle. Reading, Pennsylvania. Retrieved April 23, 2018.
- "The Citadel of Chaos (1984) ZX Spectrum game". Universal Videogame List.
- "Tesco - Online Groceries, Homeware, Electricals & Clothing". homepages.tesco.net.
- "Fighting Fantasy Classics on the App Store". App Store. Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- "Fighting Fantasy Audio Dramas". www.fightingfantasyaudiodramas.com. Retrieved 23 April 2018.