The Blazing Trail (1949 film)
|The Blazing Trail|
|Directed by||Ray Nazarro|
|Produced by||Colbert Clark|
|Written by||Barry Shipman|
|Edited by||Paul Borofsky|
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures|
- Charles Starrett as The Durango Kid (aka Steve Allan)
- Marjorie Stapp as Janet Masters
- Fred F. Sears as Luke Masters
- Steve Darrell as Sam Brady
- Jock Mahoney as Full House Patterson
- Trevor Bardette as Jess Williams
- Hank Penny as Musician
- Slim Duncan as Musician
- Smiley Burnette as Smiley Burnette
- Steve Pendleton as Kirk Brady
- Robert Malcolm as Old Mike Brady
- John Cason as Colton
- Frank McCarroll as Citizen
- John Merton as Citizen
This picture was one of 65 "Durango Kid" films Starrett made for Columbia. The first two were made in 1940, while the remainder were made between 1945-1952 (when Starrett retired). Production on the film began in late January 1949, and was finished in early February. There were several songs in the film, performed by Burnette, Duncan, and Penny. They were: "You Put Me on My Feet" and "Extra, Extra!," both with music and lyrics by Smiley Burnette; "Cheer Up," music and lyrics by Slim Duncan and Hank Penny; and "Want a Gal From Texas," music and lyrics by George LaVerne and Floyd Bartlett. The picture was rated A-1, suitable for all audiences, by the National Legion of Decency.
Motion Picture Daily gave the film a positive review, although they did find a flaws in the production, direction and writing. They extolled Starrett's performance, stating he "plays the Durango Kid in a roaringly-paced Western which, despite a few shortcomings, shapes up as good, exciting entertainment for action-film fans. Their issue came back with certain flashback scene, and the use of Starrett inserting narrative dialogue into the action. They highlighted the music insertions by Penny, Duncan and Burnette.
- "The Blazing Trail". American Film Institute. Retrieved August 11, 2018.
- Pitts, Michael R. (2012). Western Movies. Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland. p. 34. ISBN 978-1476600901.
- Rowan, Terry. Character-Based Film Series Part 3. Lulu.com. p. 53. ISBN 1365021319.
- "Slight Increase in Coast Production". Motion Picture Daily. January 27, 1949. p. 4. Retrieved December 11, 2019.
- "Production Drops To 20, From 24". Motion Picture Daily. February 2, 1949. p. 2. Retrieved December 11, 2019.
- "17 Additional Films Classified by Legion". Motion Picture Daily. February 2, 1949. p. 2. Retrieved December 11, 2019.
- "Reviews: "The Blazing Trail"". Motion Picture Daily. August 29, 1949. p. 7. Retrieved December 11, 2019.