The Banner of Freedom
"The Banner of Freedom" (Samoan: O Le Fu'a o Le Sa'olotoga o Samoa), known also as Samoa Tula'i (Samoa, Arise) is the national anthem of Samoa. Both the words (which reference the country's flag) and the music were composed by Sauni Iiga Kuresa. The anthem was composed in response to a public competition to select a new anthem when the United Nations conferred self-government on Samoa in 1948, and was chosen from among fifteen entries. It was performed publicly for the first time on 1 June 1948, and was subsequently played at all public ceremonies attended by the High Commissioner and performed after "God Save the Queen" on official occasions. It was retained as the national anthem upon Samoa's gaining of independence from New Zealand in 1962.
National anthem of Samoa
|Lyrics||Sauni Iiga Kuresa|
|Music||Sauni Iiga Kuresa|
The anthem is recognised by the Official Flag and National Anthem of Samoa Act 1994. When it is sung or played in public people and vehicles must stop and remain stationary until the performance is complete. Those who are disrespectful of the national anthem while it is being played or who insult it can be imprisoned for up to six months.
- Samoa, tula'i ma sisi ia lau fu'a, lou pale lea;
- Samoa, tula'i ma sisi ia lau fu'a, lou palelea;
- Vaai i na fetu o lo'u a agiagia ai;
- Le faailoga lea o Iesu namaliu ai mo Samoa Oi!
- Samoa e, uu mau lau pule ia faavavau.
- 'Aua e te fefe, o le Atua lo ta fa'a vae
- O lota Sa'o lotoga,
- Samoa, tula'i, ia agiagia lau
- Fu'a lou pale lea.
- Samoa, arise and raise your banner that is your crown!
- Oh! see and behold the stars on the waving banner!
- They are a sign that Samoa is able to lead.
- Oh! Samoa, hold fast
- Your freedom for ever!
- Do not be afraid; as you are founded on God;
- Our treasured precious liberty.
- Samoa, arise and wave
- Your banner that is your crown!
- "Tropicalities". Pacific Islands Monthly. XXVI (4). 1 November 1955. p. 77-78. Retrieved 12 August 2021 – via National Library of Australia.
- "A musical contradiction". Coolgardie Miner. 30 November 1950. p. 3. Retrieved 12 August 2021 – via National Library of Australia.
- "Cover photo". Pacific Islands Monthly. XIX (3). 1 October 1948. p. cover. Retrieved 12 August 2021 – via National Library of Australia.
- "Official Flag and National Anthem of Samoa Act 1994". PACLII. 28 July 1994. Retrieved 12 August 2021.
- Official Flag and National Anthem of Samoa Act 1994, section 6.
- Official Flag and National Anthem of Samoa Act 1994, section 7.
- "Samoan national anthem". Stuff. 31 January 2009. Retrieved 12 August 2021.
- NationalAnthems.info's page on "The Banner of Freedom" - includes audio recording