The Armstrong Lie
The Armstrong Lie is a 2013 American documentary film directed by Alex Gibney about the cyclist Lance Armstrong. Originally titled The Road Back, the film takes its name from "Le Mensonge Armstrong", the headline of the August 23, 2005 issue of the French newspaper L'Équipe. The film was screened out of competition at the 70th Venice International Film Festival and in the Special Presentation section at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival.
|The Armstrong Lie|
|Directed by||Alex Gibney|
|Produced by||Frank Marshall|
|Written by||Alex Gibney|
|Narrated by||Alex Gibney|
|Music by||David Kahne|
|Edited by||Andy Grieve|
Matt Tolmach Productions
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures Classics|
In 2009 director Alex Gibney set out to film The Road Back, a documentary on cyclist Lance Armstrong's comeback year after a four-year retirement from the sport. Three years later, on October 2012, a doping investigation led to his lifetime ban from competition and the stripping of his seven Tour de France titles, and the documentary was shelved. On January 14, 2013, three hours after his appearance on Oprah, Armstrong went back to Gibney to set the record straight about his career.
- Lance Armstrong
- Reed Albergotti
- Frankie Andreu
- Betsy Andreu
- Johan Bruyneel
- Alberto Contador
- Daniel Coyle
- Michele Ferrari
- George Hincapie
- Steve Madden
- Filippo Simeoni
- Bill Stapleton
- Bill Strickland
- Jonathan Vaughters
- David Walsh
Reviews of the documentary have been positive, with an 83% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, based on 108 reviews. Boyd van Hoeij of The Hollywood Reporter called it: "A quite absorbing but never riveting or revelatory overview of Armstrong’s career and testy personality."
- "The Armstrong Lie". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved February 10, 2014.
- "The Armstrong Lie – International results". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved February 10, 2014.
- Lyons, Margaret (October 8, 2013). "The Armstrong Lie Trailer: Tour de Lance". New York Media, LLC. Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- "EN IMAGES. Retour sur l'histoire d'Armstrong et du Tour de France". 20 minutes. Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- "Out of Competition". labiennale. Archived from the original on July 28, 2013. Retrieved July 27, 2013.
- "Venice film festival 2013: the full line-up". The Guardian. London. July 25, 2013. Retrieved July 27, 2013.
- "The Armstrong Lie". TIFF. Retrieved August 15, 2013.
- "Lance Armstrong movie title changes to "The Armstrong Lie"". WJLA-TV. November 7, 2013. Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- "The Armstrong Lie". Rotten Tomatoes/Flixster. Retrieved November 6, 2013.
- van Hoeij, Boyd (September 2, 2013). "The Armstrong Lie: Venice Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 6, 2013.