Tharrawaddy Min (Burmese: သာယာဝတီမင်း, pronounced [θàjàwədì mɪ́ɴ]; 14 March 1787 – 17 November 1846) was the 8th king of the Konbaung Dynasty of Burma. He repudiated the Treaty of Yandabo and almost went to war with the British.
|King of Burma |
Prince of Tharrawaddy
|Reign||15 April 1837 – 17 November 1846|
|Coronation||8 July 1840|
|Born||Maung Khin (မောင်ခင်)|
14 March 1787
|Died||17 November 1846 (aged 59)|
|Consort||Me Myat Shwe |
96 queens in total
|Issue||18 sons and 18 daughters including:|
|Mother||Min Kye, Princess of Taungdwin|
- This article is about the Konbaung-era king. For the Toungoo-era king of Lan Na, see Nawrahta Minsaw.
Tharrawaddy was born Maung Khin to Crown Prince Thado Minsaw (son of King Bodawpaya) and Princess Min Kye on 14 March 1787. When his elder brother Bagyidaw ascended the throne in 1819, Tharrawaddy was appointed Heir Apparent. As crown prince, he fought in the First Anglo-Burmese War. In February 1837, he raised the standard of rebellion after escaping to Shwebo, the ancestral place of the Konbaung kings. Tharrawaddy succeeded in overthrowing Bagyidaw in April and was crowned king. Princess Min Myat Shwe, a granddaughter of Hsinbyushin, whom he married in 1809, was crowned as his chief queen (Nanmadaw Mibaya Hkaungyi).
In 1841 King Tharrawaddy donated a 42-ton bell called the Maha Tissada Gandha Bell and 20 kilograms (44 lb) of goldplating to the Shwedagon Pagoda in Yangon. His reign was rife with rumours of preparations for another war with the British who had added the Arakan and Tenasserim to their dominions. It was, however, not until 1852, after Tharrawaddy was succeeded by his son Pagan Min, that the Second Anglo-Burmese War broke out.
- Christopher Buyers. "The Konbaung Dynasty Genealogy". royalark.net. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- "Some Documents of Tharrawaddy's Reign:1837–1846, Part I" (PDF). SOAS. Autumn 2003. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2007-04-28. Retrieved 2007-03-12.
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica. 4 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 845. .
- The Royal Ark:Burma – The Konbaung Dynasty Christopher Buyers
Tharrawaddy MinBorn: 14 March 1787 Died: 17 November 1846
| King of Burma
15 April 1837 – 17 November 1846
| Heir to the Burmese Throne
as Prince of Tharrawaddy
5 June 1819 – 15 April 1837
|This Southeast Asian history-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of a member of a Burmese royal house is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|