Thappana is a 2012 Indian Malayalam-language action comedy film based on the work of Bengali novelist Ashapurna Debi and directed by Johny Antony. The film stars Mammootty, Charmy Kaur, and Murali Gopy in lead roles. The film was released on 19 August 2012.
|Directed by||Johny Antony|
|Produced by||Milan Jaleel|
|Screenplay by||M. Sindhuraj|
|Based on||Ashapoorna Devis work|
|Edited by||Ranjan Abraham|
It tells the story of two convicts, the petty thief Samson (Mammootty) and the young girl Mallika (Charmy Kaur), who are released from prison on the same day. Samson accompanies the depressed girl on her journey back home in Karippa and finds out the cause of the murder attempt on Mallika's husband.
Samson (Mammootty) and Mallika (Charmy Kaur) have just been released from prison. Samson is a small-time thief to whom prison is a "second home" while Mallika went to prison for murdering someone to save her husband from being killed. Samson falls in love with the girl at first sight. He decides to accompany her on the journey back home, but during the entire journey, Mallika is absolutely quiet and refuses to utter a word to him. She seems depressed and lonely. Shocking things await her when she reaches her home in Karippa to meet her husband Manikuttan/Kannukuttan (Murali Gopy). Kannukuttan was having an affair with their neighbour's wife (Sajitha Betti), and it was the jealous husband who had wanted to kill Kannukuttan. Mallika gives a contract to Samson for killing Kannukuttan and rest of the story forms the plot
- Mammootty as Samson
- Charmy Kaur as Mallika, Manikuttan's ex-wife
- Murali Gopy as Manikuttan/Kannukuttan
- Sajitha Betti as Manikuttan's second wife
- Vijayaraghavan as Police Officer
- Kalabhavan Shajohn as Kochappi
- Kalabhavan Rahman as Police Constable
- Manikandan Pattambi as C.Pavithran/ C.P
- Jubil Rajan P Dev as Joymon
- Vijeesh as Chedathi Sabu
- Ponnamma Babu as Ponnamma Sabu
- Namo Narayana
Thappana was launched on 5 March 2012. The movie started production in mid-April and was mostly filmed in Kochi. Filming was completed in 52 days, ahead of the schedules that was originally planned for 60 days.
IndiaGlitz gave the movie 6.5/10, saying that "'Thaappana' is not an unique work, but offers an ordinary watch that may please you for this festival season. If marketed well, 'Thappana' may also end the recent flop show of the Superstar."
The Times of India gave the movie 3.5/5, stating that "Director Johny Antony does play to the multitude at times but his grip on the narrative never loosens and notches up a film that may not be remarkable but surely worth watching."
Metro Matinee gave the movie a verdict of "Watchable", saying that "Thappana is an extremely simple movie, with its raw humour and earthy wise cracks. Both the story and the humour could be easily related. There are no major shortcomings and the little ones could be ignored. An ordinary story has been made endearing through some good script writing, spectacular photography, sensible acting and direction. The humour might annoy the prude but provides continuous enjoyment to the rest. A perfect prescription for family audiences. In short, a fairly nice option, if you don’t think too much!"
Paresh C Palicha of Rediff gave the movie 2.5/5, concluding that "Thappana has the flavour of a typical star film like Rajamanikyam or Mayavi, but it does not go overboard nor is it overly dependent on the star."
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||7 August 2012|
|Recorded||Varshaa Vallaki Studios|
|Genre||Feature Film Soundtrack|
|1||"Manivaaka Pootha"||Madhu Balakrishnan, Thulasi Yatheendran|
|2||"Oorum Perum Parayaathe"||Vijay Yesudas|
|3||"Padaykkirangiya Thaappaana"||Sanjeev Thomas|
- "Mammootty's Thappana launched". Sify.com. 6 March 2012. Archived from the original on 8 March 2012. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
- "Mammootty starrer 'Thappana' completes its shoot". IBN Live. 20 June 2012. Archived from the original on 26 January 2013. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
- Kurian, Shiba (19 June 2012). "It's a pack-up for Thappana". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 3 January 2013. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
- "Thappana Movie Review". IndiaGlitz. 20 August 2012. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "Thappana Review". The Times of India. 21 August 2012. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "Thappana Review". Metro Matinee. 19 August 2012. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- Paresh C Palicha (21 August 2012). "Review: Thappana is watchable". Rediff. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "Kerala Box-Office (Aug 1 to 20)". Sify. 22 August 2012. Archived from the original on 25 August 2012.
- "'Run Baby Run' to 'Trivandrum lodge', back to back hit". Network 18. 10 October 2012. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015.