Teylingen (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈtɛilɪŋə(n)] (listen)) is a municipality in the western Netherlands, in the province of South Holland. It was created on 1 January 2006, through the amalgamation of Sassenheim, Voorhout, and Warmond. It is named after Teylingen Castle, located in Voorhout.
The Kagerplassen lake system in Teylingen
Location in South Holland
|Established||1 January 2006|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Carla Breuer (CDA)|
|• Total||33.49 km2 (12.93 sq mi)|
|• Land||28.38 km2 (10.96 sq mi)|
|• Water||5.11 km2 (1.97 sq mi)|
|Elevation||0 m (0 ft)|
|• Density||1,306/km2 (3,380/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
2170–2172, 2215, 2360–2362
|Area code||0252, 071|
The municipality is bordered by Noordwijkerhout and Lisse to the north, Haarlemmermeer and Alkemade to the east, Leiderdorp and Leiden to the south, and Oegstgeest and Katwijk to the west. It is located in an area called the "Dune and Bulb Region" (Duin- en Bollenstreek). The Kagerplassen are to the east of Sassenheim.
|Railway Leiden Centraal to Haarlem (part of line 10), with stations (municipalities in bold) and official station abbreviations:|
- Herman Boerhaave (1668 in Voorhout – 1738) a Dutch botanist, chemist, Christian humanist and physician
- Han Zuilhof (born 1965 in Sassenheim) the Chair of Organic Chemistry at Wageningen University
- Frank Ammerlaan (born 1979 in Sassenheim) a Dutch artist who lives and works in London
- Piet van der Lans (born 1940 in Sassenheim) a retired Dutch track cyclist, competed at the 1960 Summer Olympics
- Bart Zoet (1942 in Sassenheim – 1992) a Dutch cyclist, team gold medallist at the 1964 Summer Olympics
- Stan van Belkum (born 1961 in Warmond) a former water polo player, competed at the 1980 and 1984 Summer Olympics
- Rob van Dijk (born 1969 in Voorhout) a Dutch retired football goalkeeper with 364 club caps
- Edwin van der Sar (born 1970 in Voorhout) a Dutch retired football goalkeeper with 606 club caps
- Martin Hersman (born 1974 in Sassenheim) a retired speed skater, he competed at the 1994 and 1998 Winter Olympics
- "Gemeentelijke indeling op 1 januari 2006" [Municipal divisions on 1 January 2006]. cbs.nl (in Dutch). CBS. Retrieved 24 August 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Burgemeester" [Mayor] (in Dutch). Gemeente Teylingen. Archived from the original on 11 March 2013. Retrieved 24 August 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2020" [Key figures for neighbourhoods 2020]. StatLine (in Dutch). CBS. 24 July 2020. Retrieved 19 September 2020.
- "Postcodetool for 2215MA". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 24 August 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 1 January 2019. Retrieved 1 January 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Teylingen.|