The Tewa are a linguistic group of Pueblo Native Americans who speak the Tewa language and share the Pueblo culture. Their homelands are on or near the Rio Grande in New Mexico north of Santa Fe. They comprise the following communities:
- Nambé Pueblo
- Pojoaque Pueblo
- San Ildefonso Pueblo
- Ohkay Owingeh (formerly known as San Juan Pueblo)
- Santa Clara Pueblo
- Tesuque Pueblo
Tewa is one of five Tanoan languages spoken by the Pueblo people of New Mexico. Though these five languages are closely related, speakers of one cannot fully understand speakers of another (similar to German and Dutch speakers). The six Tewa-speaking pueblos are Nambe, Pojoaque, San Ildefonso, Ohkay Owingeh, Santa Clara, and Tesuque.
As with speakers of Tiwa, Towa and Keres, there is some disagreement among the Tewa people as to whether Tewa should be a written language or not. Some Pueblo elders feel that Tewa languages should be preserved by oral traditions alone. However, many Tewa speakers have decided that Tewa literacy is important for passing the language on to the children.
The Tewa pueblos developed their own orthography (spelling system) for their language, Ohkay Owingeh has published a dictionary of Tewa, and today most of the Tewa-speaking pueblos have established Tewa-language programs to teach children to read and write in this language.
- Maria Martinez, a famous potter known for black on black ware
- Popé, pueblo revolt leader
- Esther Martinez, a Tewa linguist
- Jody Naranjo, potter
- Rose Gonzales, potter
- Ines[disambiguation needed], a Tano translator named Ines, who had been brought out of the San Cristobal pueblo in present New Mexico as a young girl during the Castaño de Sosa Expedition. She came back to the north with the Oñate Expedition and was living in the Santa Fe encampment, and was one of the instrumental individuals in creating friendship between the few Spaniards who remained in the colony after it became more certain that the region would not produce any precious metals.
This article does not cite any sources. (December 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tewa.|