This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article is incomplete.(April 2017)
Terry Notary (born August 14, 1968) is an American actor, stunt co-ordinator/double and movement coach. Notary mainly portrays creatures and animals for the film and television industry, and is known for his motion capture performances in films like Avatar, The Adventures of Tintin: Secrets of the Unicorn, the Planet of the Apes reboot series, and The Hobbit film trilogy.
August 14, 1968 |
San Rafael, California, United States
|Occupation||Actor, stunt co-ordinator/double, movement coach|
Born in San Rafael, California, Notary was diagnosed as being severely hyperactive at age 7. His parents enrolled him in gymnastics class to burn off excess energy. He won a gymnastics scholarship at UCLA, where he graduated with a major in theatre.
Notary's first career was as a performer with Cirque du Soleil. His first job as a stunt movement coach was on Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Director Ron Howard was hiring Cirque gymnasts for the film, and after sufficiently impressing Howard, Notary was offered the job of teaching all the Who actors how to move. Notary followed this new career path to Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes, for which he prepared by studying ape movements at the LA County Zoo. Notary's first motion capture film was Avatar, where he was the movement coach for the Na'vi.
Swedish director Ruben Östlund hired Notary based on Planet of the Apes when casting his Palme d'Or-winning 2017 film The Square. For Oleg, a character who acts like an ape, Östlund discovered Notary after running a Google search for "actor imitating monkey" and viewing one of Notary's performances.
- Avengers: Infinity War (2018) - Cull Obsidian
- The Square (2017) - Oleg
- War for the Planet of the Apes (2017) - Rocket/ Stunt Coordinator/ Movement Coach
- Kong: Skull Island (2017) - King Kong
- Warcraft (2016) - Grommash Hellscream
- The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014) - Movement Coach/ Laketown Refugee
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014) - Rocket/ Stunt Coordinator/ Movement Coach
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013) MoCap Performer/ Movement Coach
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) - Goblin/ Yazneg (pick-up shots)/ Stunt Performer/ Movement Coach
- The Cabin in the Woods (2011) - Clown/ Stunt Performer/ Movement Coach
- The Adventures of Tintin: Secrets of the Unicorn (2011) - Stunt Co-ordinator/ Stunt Performer/ MoCap Performer/ Movement Coach
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011) - Rocket/ Bright Eyes/ Stunt Co-ordinator/ Andy Serkis & Richard Ridings's Stunt Double/ Movement Coach
- Attack the Block (2011) - Head Alien/ Movement Coach
- Primal (2010) - Stunt Co-ordinator
- The Lost Tribe (2010) - Alpha Male Creature/ Executive Producer/ Stunt Coordinator/ Movement Coach
- Avatar (2009) - Jake's Banshee (uncredited)/ Stunts/ MoCap Performer/ Movement Coach
- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009) - Movement Coach
- The Forgotten Ones (2009) - Alpha Male
- The Incredible Hulk (2008) - Movement Coach / Tim Roth's Stunt Double (uncredited)/ Hulk & Abomination MoCap Performers/ Soldier (uncredited)
- Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007) - Stunt Performer/ Silver Surfer MoCap Performer/ Movement Coach
- Next (2007) - Stunt Double (uncredited)/ Movement Coach (uncredited)
- Slipstream (2007) - Stunt Co-ordinator (uncredited)
- If I Had Known I Was A Genius (2007) - Stunt Co-ordinator
- Superman Returns (2006) - Stunt Performer / Movement Coach
- Me and You and Everyone We Know (2005) - Stunt Co-ordinator
- The Village (2004) - Movement Coach
- Tarzan (2003) - Animal Movement Coach
- X2 (2003) - Stunt Performer/ Movement Coach
- The Hot Chick (2001) - Stunt Performer
- Planet of the Apes (2001) - Stunt Performer / Tim Roth's Stunt Double (uncredited)/ Movement Coach
- The Animal (2001) - Stunt Performer
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000) - Stunt Performer/ Movement Coach
- Caranicas, Peter (Aug 9, 2011). "Terry Notary on 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes'". Variety. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- Dundjerski, Marina. "Monkey Business". UCLA Magazine (Fall 2001). Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- Bhattacharya, Sanjiv (11 July 2014). "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: how to act like an ape". The Telegraph. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- "MEET THE TALENT – TERRY NOTARY". Animatrik.com. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- Utichi, Joe (29 May 2017). "Meet Ruben Östlund, Director Of The Newly-Crowned Palme D’Or Winner, 'The Square' – Cannes". Deadline.com. Retrieved 29 May 2017.
- "Avengers:Infinity War’ Adds ‘Kong’ and ‘Apes’ Mo-Cap Actor Terry Notary as Villain". Collider.com. Retrieved 11 March 2017.