The Municipality of Tepic is one of the 20 municipalities dividing the Mexican state of Nayarit; its head city (the seat of the municipal government), the city of Tepic, is also the capital of the state.
Location of Tepic Municipality in Nayarit
|Time zone||UTC−7 (MST (Zona Pacífico))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−6 (MDT (Zona Pacífico))|
The municipality of Tepic is located in the center-south zone of the state of Nayarit, just at the foot of the Sierra Madre Oriental mountain range and in its transition towards the Pacific Coastal Plain. It has a territorial extension of 766 sq mi (1983.3 km2) that represent 7.25% of the total extension of Nayarit, ranking it as the sixth most extensive municipality in the state. Its geographic coordinates are 21° 23'N - 21° 52'N and 104° 35'W - 105° 09'W and its altitude ranges from a maximum of 7,546 feet (2,300 m) to a minimum of 328 feet (100 m) above sea level.
According to the results of the 2010 General Census of Population and Housing conducted by the National Institute of Statistics and Geography (INEGI), the municipality of Tepic has a total population of 380,249 people, of which 185,167 are men and 195,082 are women.
In the municipality of Tepic there are 138 localities. List of localities with population above 1,000 include:
|Municipality Population Total||380,249|
|Francisco I. Madero (Puga)||7,091|
|Camichin de Jauja||2,358|
|Santiago of Pochotitán||1,668|
|Lo de Lamedo||1,356|
|San Luis of Lozada||1,187|
|Colonia 6 de Enero||1,141|
The government of the municipality corresponds him to the City council that conforms by the Municipal President, a Syndic and 16 Councillors; all are elect by means of free popular vote, direct and secret for a period of three years no reelegibles for the period inmediado but if of form no contínua and go in to exert his charges the day 17 September of the year of his election.
For the election of local deputies to the Congress of Nayarit and of federal deputies to the Camera of federal Deputies, the municipality of Tepic finds integrated in the following electoral districts:
- I Electoral District Venue of Nayarit with cabecera in Tepic.
- II Electoral District Venue of Nayarit with cabecera in Tepic.
- III Electoral District Venue of Nayarit with cabecera in Tepic.
- II Electoral District Federal of Nayarit with cabecera in the city of Tepic.
- (1966 - 1969): Neófito Haro Castillo
- (1969 - 1972): Jesús Hernández Guillén
- (1972 - 1975): Alejandro Gascón Market
- (1975): Rafael Gómez Aguilar
- (1975 - 1978): José Ramón Navarro Quintero
- (1978 - 1981): José Félix Torres Haro
- (1981 - 1984): José Manuel Rivas Allende
- (1984 - 1987): Braulio Pérez Valdivia
- (1987 - 1990): Remigio Rosebushes Vega
- (1990 - 1993): Alejandro Rivas Curiel
- (1993 - 1996): Raúl Mejía González
- (1996 - 1999): José Félix Torres Haro
- (1999 - 2001): Justino Ávila Arce
- (2001 - 2002): María Eugenia Jiménez Valenzuela
- (2002 - 2004): Ney González Sánchez
- (2004 - 2005): Cora Cecilia Pinedo Alonso
- (2005 - 2008): Manuel Humberto Cota Jiménez
- (2008 - 2010): Roberto Sandoval Castañeda
- (2010 - 2011): Georgina López Arias
- (2011 - 2014): Héctor González Curiel
- (2014 - 2017): Leopoldo Domínguez González
- Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Geografía (2010).
- Instituto Nacional para el Federalismo y el Desarrollo Municipal. "Periodos de gobierno municipal". Archived from the original on 17 October 2014. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- Instituto Federal Electoral. "Condensado de Nayarit" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 18 November 2008. Retrieved 6 July 2014.