Tena Campbell (born December 11, 1944) is an American jurist, lawyer, and former school teacher. She is a Senior United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Utah.
|Senior Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Utah|
|Assumed office |
January 1, 2011
|Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Utah|
|Preceded by||Dee Benson|
|Succeeded by||Ted Stewart|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Utah|
June 30, 1995 – January 1, 2011
|Appointed by||Bill Clinton|
|Preceded by||Bruce Sterling Jenkins|
|Succeeded by||Robert J. Shelby|
Marilyn Bernie (Tena) Gresky
December 11, 1944
|Spouse(s)||Gordon W. Campbell|
|Residence||Salt Lake City, Utah|
|Education||University of Idaho (B.A.)|
Arizona State University (M.A.)
Arizona State University College of Law (J.D.)
Education and careerEdit
Born in Wendell, Idaho, Campbell received a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Idaho in 1967, a Master of Arts from Arizona State University in 1970, and a Juris Doctor from Arizona State University College of Law in 1977.
She began her career as a school teacher. She taught French at a high school level in Twin Falls, Idaho from 1967 to 1969 and taught the same subject at Tempe High School in Tempe, Arizona from 1972 to 1973. She taught French in evening classes at Phoenix Junior College in Phoenix, Arizona from 1972 to 1973.
She was in private practice in Salt Lake City, Utah from 1977 to 1981, and then entered public service, becoming a Deputy county attorney in the Salt Lake County Attorney's Office, Utah in 1981. Later that year, she became an Assistant United States Attorney in Salt Lake City, a position she held until 1995.
Federal judicial serviceEdit
On June 22, 1995, Campbell was nominated by President Bill Clinton to a seat on the United States District Court for the District of Utah vacated by Bruce Sterling Jenkins. She was confirmed by the United States Senate on June 30, 1995, and received her commission the same day. She served as chief judge from 2006 to 2011. She assumed senior status on January 1, 2011.
She was named the Christine M. Durham Woman Lawyer of the Year in 2007 by Woman Lawyers of Utah.
- Confirmation hearings on federal appointments : hearings before the Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate, One Hundred Fourth Congress, first session, on confirmation of appointees to the federal judiciary. pt. 1 (1996)
- Press, Bernan (March 2001). Biographical Directory of the Federal Judiciary, 1789-2000. Bernan Press. p. 418. ISBN 9780890592588.
- Tribune, The Salt Lake. "Utah Local News - Salt Lake City News, Sports, Archive - The Salt Lake Tribune". www.sltrib.com.
- Tena Campbell at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- District court web page for Judge Campbell
Bruce Sterling Jenkins
| Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Utah
Robert J. Shelby
| Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Utah
|This biography of a judge in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|