Telescope (TV series)
Telescope is a Canadian documentary series which aired on CBC Television between 1963 and 1973. The series was hosted by Fletcher Markle, which profiled notable Canadian people from celebrities to the unknown, who made a difference.
|Presented by||Fletcher Markle|
|Narrated by||Fletcher Markle|
|Country of origin||Canada|
|Executive producer(s)||Thom Berson (1963−1970)|
Fletcher Markle (1970−1973)
|Producer(s)||Ross McLean (1963−1964)|
Peter Kelly (1964−1966)
Fletcher Markle (1966−1969)
Sam Levene (1970−1973)
|Running time||22 minutes (30 min with commercials)|
|Original network||CBC Television|
|Original release||1963 – 1973|
In 2008, CBC offered 10 episodes of Telescope on their Digital Archives website. The episodes are from the 1970–71 season, and feature new host Ken Kavanagh. Among those profiled were game show host Monty Hall, publisher Mel Hurtig, journalist Pat Carney, actor John Vernon, author Farley Mowat, amusement park impresario Patty Conklin, and underwater explorer Joe MacInnis. A 1970 episode featured actor Donald Sutherland including early footage of his son Kiefer. Mentalist Uri Geller followed a week later by Ray Hyman and Jerry Andrus who explained and duplicated Geller's "paranormal" feats. First Nations filmmaker Alanis Obomsawin has stated that it was an interview with her on Telescope in the early 1960s that first brought her to the attention of the National Film Board of Canada.
- Langan, Fred (30 March 2010). "Canadian news anchor was a 'natural broadcaster'". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 26 July 2011.
- "Telescope: Donald Sutherland". CBC Archives. 15 September 1970. Retrieved 26 July 2011.
- "Jerry Andrus and Ray Hyman on Uri Geller". TeleScope. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- Obomsawin, Alanis (2017-03-27). ""For 150 years, people have been told lies about Canada's history"". The Review. Toronto International Film Festival. Retrieved 2017-03-28.
- Taylor, Jillian (14 February 2015). "Alanis Obomsawin passes knowledge to aspiring filmmakers". CBC News. Retrieved 20 February 2015.