Telenovela (TV series)
Telenovela is an American single-camera sitcom television series starring Eva Longoria and Jencarlos Canela. The series is a behind-the-scenes look at a fictional telenovela (Latin American soap opera) that is shot in Miami, Florida, and follows the daily life of the show's star, who does not speak Spanish. The series premiered on December 7, 2015 on NBC, and concluded on February 22, 2016.
|Also known as||Hot & Bothered|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Original language(s)||English, Spanish|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||11 (list of episodes)|
|Camera setup||Single camera|
|Running time||22 minutes|
Tall and Short Productions|
|Distributor||NBCUniversal Television Distribution|
|Original release||December 7, 2015– February 22, 2016|
On May 13, 2016, NBC canceled the series.
Cast and charactersEdit
- Eva Longoria as Ana Sofia Calderon, the neurotic star of Las Leyes de Pasión
- Jencarlos Canela as Xavier (Xavi) Castillo, Ana Sofia's ex-husband, recently hired to co-star on her show
- Diana-Maria Riva as Mimi Moncada, Ana Sofia's best friend and the show's clothing designer and seamstress
- Amaury Nolasco as Rodrigo Suarez, Ana Sofia's eccentric co-star who plays the show's villain
- Jose Moreno Brooks as Gael Garnica, Ana Sofia's gay friend and co-star who plays her love interest on the show
- Jadyn Douglas as Roxi Rios, the show's youngest cast member who is dimwitted yet insightful
- Alex Meneses as Isabela Santamaria, the telenovela's aging former leading lady and Ana Sofia's chief rival
- Izzy Diaz as Isaac Aguero, the show's head writer who drunkenly writes the episodes only to forget the scenes he wrote the next day
On January 16, 2015, NBC ordered thirteen episodes. On October 19, 2015, the network cut its order to eleven episodes. In November, the show title was switched from the production title Hot & Bothered to Telenovela.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Prod.|
|1||"Pilot"||Steve Pink||Story by : Chrissy Pietrosh & Jessica Goldstein and Robert Harling |
Teleplay by : Chrissy Pietrosh & Jessica Goldstein
|December 7, 2015||101||5.34|
|Ana Sofia is the star of the hit telenovela "Las Leyes de Pasión", without speaking a word of Spanish. The network decides to add to the show Ana's ex-husband Xavi, who had cheated on her. Now they compete to become the crew's favorite, and for the spotlight roles in the show, until Ana freaks out and Gael, the current hot lover in the show, starts stress eating. Ana and Mimi break into Xavi's yacht to take revenge but Xavi catches Ana and they apologize. Finally they perform a staged reunion kiss for the press and manage to star in the show together.|
|2||"Evil Twin"||Reginald Hudlin||Robert Sudduth||December 7, 2015||102||3.35|
|On Isabela's birthday, Ana has enough of all the secrets and lies and instates an open-book policy at the set, from which she learns of Mimi's (lack of a) sex life. She tries to match her up with Rodrigo, but there's a misunderstanding. Meanwhile, Isabela's identical twin Carmen arrives and befriends Gael, who tells her many stories about Isabela. When they discover that Carmen recorded all his secret stories of Isabela's wrongdoings and plans to include it in a tell-all book to ruin her, all friendships are off and Isabela fights with Carmen, which also marks the end of the open-book policy.|
|3||"Trapped in a Well"||Michael Weaver||Chrissy Pietrosh & Jessica Goldstein||December 28, 2015[a]||103||2.23|
|To show off in front of Xavi, Ana calls Mimi her personal assistant, which majorly strains their friendship. In a series of accidents on set, a light drops on Ana's head and she fakes amnesia. In another accident, Ana and Mimi end up trapped in a stage well, which gives them time to reconcile. Rodrigo is jealous of Xavi because Xavi never needs to rehearse for anything. When Xavi finds out that Rodrigo had wanted to become a boy-band member just like him, they perform a song together.|
|4||"The Kiss"||Fred Goss||Melody Derloshon||January 4, 2016||104||4.56|
|Ana agrees to go on a date with James, but feels more comfortable playing her character while on the date than being herself. Meanwhile, Rodrigo and Roxi try to convince Xavi that the ghost of a deceased actor haunts the show's set.|
|5||"The Rivals"||Ken Whittingham||Leila Cohan-Miccio||January 11, 2016||105||3.61|
|Ana sets up a charity event to build a house for an underprivileged family, and the cast and crew from Las Leyes de Pasión pitch in to help, but they get upstaged at the building site by the cast and crew of a rival telenovela.|
|6||"The Hurricane"||Eva Longoria||Craig Gerard & Matthew Zinman||January 18, 2016||106||3.87|
|Ana bans all food because of the upcoming beach wear scenes, but then a hurricane hits and everyone is stuck in the studio with nothing to eat and the hapless Gael in charge as safety captain.|
|7||"The Grand Gesture"||Dylan K. Massin||Marcos Luevanos||January 25, 2016||107||3.29|
|Ana is having fun dating James, but his over-the-top attempts at showing his affection make her afraid that the relationship is moving way too fast. Meanwhile, Rodrigo loses his dressing room to Isaac in a poker game. When the guys set up the next game, Roxi wants in, and she turns out to be a better poker player than she let on.|
|8||"Sexual Awakening"||Victor Nelli, Jr.||Dannah Phirman & Danielle Schneider||February 1, 2016||108||3.06|
|When it is discovered that Mimi's son Nico has a photo of a half-dressed Ana under his mattress, the two women debate over whether or not Nico needs to have the sex talk. Meanwhile, the men of Las Leyes de Pasión are excited about an upcoming photo shoot for a magazine, until they hear that the photographer refuses to use any retouching techniques on the photos.|
|9||"Split Personalities"||David Warren||Josh Bycel & Jonathan Fener||February 8, 2016||109||3.34|
|Mimi's ex-husband Martin (Ricardo Antonio Chavira) gets out of prison looking hotter than ever and seems to have changed for the better, but Ana warns her friend not to fall for him again.|
|10||"Caught in the Act"||Fred Goss||Jameel Saleem||February 15, 2016||110||2.33|
|With Xavi trying to be the best man he can be for new girlfriend Kelly (Fiona Gubelmann), he asks Ana to point out all the things he used to do to bug her and she is delighted to do so. But the two spend so much time together remaking Xavi, Kelly gets jealous. Meanwhile, a pregnancy scene has Rodrigo regretting he never had children, but his discussions with Roxi and Gael lead him to believe an old affair may have produced a child that he doesn't know about.|
|11||"The Stalker"||Steve Pink||Chrissy Pietrosh & Jessica Goldstein||February 22, 2016||111||2.94|
|Ana is excited to learn she has a stalker, while she also considers rekindling her relationship with Xavi. When Xavi doesn't show up for their date, Ana learns her stalker is Kelly, who has kidnapped Xavi and is threatening his life. On the set, various cast members try to impress Isaac with their talents after learning he is writing a pilot for a new show.|
- The third episode was released online on December 7, 2015.
|No.||Episode||Original air date||Timeslot (EST)||Viewers
|1||"Pilot"||December 7, 2015||Monday 10:00 pm||5.34||1.4/4|
|2||"Evil Twin"||December 7, 2015||Monday 10:30 pm||3.35||0.9/3|
|3||"Trapped in a Well"||December 28, 2015||Monday 9:30 pm||2.23||0.6/2|
|4||"The Kiss"||January 4, 2016||Monday 8:30 pm||4.56||1.3/4|
|5||"The Rivals"||January 11, 2016||3.61||1.0/3|
|6||"The Hurricane"||January 18, 2016||3.87||1.1/3|
|7||"The Grand Gesture"||January 25, 2016||3.29||0.9/3|
|8||"Sexual Awakening"||February 1, 2016||3.06||0.8/2|
|9||"Split Personalities"||February 8, 2016||3.34||0.9/3|
|10||"Caught in the Act"||February 15, 2016||2.33||0.7/2|
|11||"The Stalker"||February 22, 2016||2.94||0.9/3|
According to Metacritic, Telenovela currently holds a score of 62 out of 100, based on 21 critics indicating "generally favorable reviews". On another review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the series holds a critical approval of 63%, based on 19 critics, with an average rating of 5.9/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Featuring a likable cast led by a charming Eva Longoria, Telenovela is a comedy that provides entertainingly predictable laughs".
- Block, Alex Ben (January 22, 2015). "Eva Longoria Talks NBC's 'Telenovela,' Diversity on TV". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 6, 2015.
- Porter, Rick (November 2, 2015). "'Superstore' and 'Telenovela' get post-'Voice' launches before regular premieres". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 2, 2015.
- Andreeva, Nellie (May 13, 2016). "'Telenovela' & 'Undateable' Canceled By NBC". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 13, 2016.
- Wagmeister, Elizabeth (January 16, 2015). "Eva Longoria Signs On To Star In NBC's Telenovela". Variety. Retrieved April 6, 2015.
- Goldberg, Lesley (January 26, 2015). "NBC's Eva Longoria 'Telenovela' Comedy Adds Three to Cast (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 6, 2015.
- Andreeva, Nellie (February 19, 2015). "Jose Moreno Brooks Cast In NBC's 'Telenovela', Ana Kayne Joins CBS' 'LFE'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 26, 2015.
- Canela, Jencarlos (April 11, 2015). "Congratulations Jadyn Douglas (Arten Way)". JencarlosNow. Retrieved May 10, 2015.
- Andreeva, Nellie (January 16, 2015). "Eva Longoria Comedy 'Telenovela' A Go At NBC With 13-Episode Order". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 6, 2015.
- Littleton, Cynthia (October 19, 2015). "NBC Trims Episode Orders For 'Hot and Bothered,' 'Superstore' Amid Series Glut".
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 2, 2015). "'Superstore' & 'Telenovela' NBC Comedies Get Premiere Date, 'The Voice' Previews". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 25 December 2015.
- Porter, Rick (December 8, 2015). "Monday final ratings: 'Telenovela' adjusts up slightly, 'Christmas Light Fight' adjusts down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 8, 2015.
- Porter, Rick (December 30, 2015). "Monday final ratings: 'Superstore' and 'Telenovela' adjust down thanks to NFL preemption". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 30, 2015.
- Porter, Rick (January 6, 2016). "Monday final ratings: 'Supergirl,' 'Scorpion' and 'Superstore' adjust up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 6, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (January 12, 2016). "Monday final ratings: 'The Bachelor' and 'Scorpion' rerun adjusts up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 12, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (January 20, 2016). "Monday final ratings: 'The Bachelor,' 'Superstore' and 'Masterchef Celebrity Showdown' adjust up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 20, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (January 26, 2016). "Monday final ratings: 'Scorpion' and 'Superstore' adjust up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 26, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (February 2, 2016). "Monday final ratings: 'X-Files,' 'Lucifer' and 'The Bachelor' adjust up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 2, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (February 9, 2016). "Monday final ratings: 'The Bachelor' and 'Scorpion' adjust up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 9, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (February 17, 2016). "Monday final ratings: Grammys and all other shows hold". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 17, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (February 23, 2016). "Monday final ratings: 'Bachelor' adjusts up, 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend' adjusts down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
- Rafety, Liz (November 2, 2015). "NBC Reveals Early Premiere Dates for Eva Longoria and America Ferrera Comedies". TV Guide. Retrieved May 13, 2016.
- "Telenovela : Season 1". Metacritic. Retrieved December 18, 2015.
- "Telenovela Season 1". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved December 18, 2015.