Technical University of Ostrava
The VSB - Technical University of Ostrava also known as VSB-TUO (or Vysoká škola báňská – Technická univerzita Ostrava in Czech) is a polytechnics university with a long tradition in high-quality engineering education and research. It is located in the city of Ostrava, Moravian-Silesian Region in Czech Republic. VSB-TUO has strong links to industry and thrives on applied research, in cooperation with companies and institutions worldwide, in finding innovative solutions to modern-day issues.
Vysoká škola báňská
The institution was founded on 23 January 1849 as the Mining Academy in Příbram. In 1894, it was promoted to university status and in 1904, it was renamed to Vysoká škola báňská. In 1945, it was moved to Ostrava, then, the centre of Czechoslovak mining industry.
Today, the university has a total of about 20,000 students and consists of the following seven faculties:
- Faculty of Economics (Czech: Ekonomická fakulta – EkF)
- Faculty of Civil Engineering (Czech: Fakulta stavební – FAST)
- Faculty of Mechanical Engineering (Czech: Fakulta strojní – FS)
- Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (Czech: Fakulta elektrotechniky a informatiky – FEI)
- Faculty of Mining and Geology (Czech: Hornicko-geologická fakulta – HGF)
- Faculty of Metallurgy and Material Engineering (Czech: Fakulta materiálově-technologická – FMT)
- Faculty of Safety Engineering (Czech: Fakulta bezpečnostního inženýrství – FBI)
- Karel Heyrowský (1802–1863), Professor of mining, mining machinery and mining measurements 1849–1863
- Josef Theurer (1862–1928), Professor of mathematics and physics 1895–1926, first chancellor of Vysoká škola báňská in Příbram (1904), and rector 1903–1927
- František Mařík (1884–1966), Professor of winding equipment
- František Čechura (1887–1974), Professor of mining measurements, rector 1945–1950
- Alois Řiman (1896–1966), Founder of mine planning
- Richard Doležal (1921–2005), Professor of process engineering at TU Ostrava, CTU Prag, Braunschweig University of Technology, University of Stuttgart
- Petr Šnapka (born 1943), Professor of economics and management, Dean IDMS
- Tomáš Čermák (born 1943), engineer and rector of VŠB – Technical University of Ostrava (VŠB-TUO).
- Václav Roubíček (born 1944), Professor of fire engineering at TUO, rector 1997 to 2003; former member of the Senate of the Czech Republic